GIL: Where is your MTR + PSK31 setup post?

Started by K7JLJ, November 15, 2015, 11:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K7JLJ

I found your youtube video of the MTR and really want my next radio to be the LNR Mountain Topper. 

If I can get PSK3 running on it, the wife will sign off ASAP [4 left :)] because she doesn't want to learn code.

Point me in the direction I should go, please sir. 
-Jim

gil

Hello Jim,

The three-band MTR I believe is unfortunately not PSK-able. I think only the two-bander is. I sold mine to Ray.. You might be able to find a used one on Ebay, but they do not come up very often, since so few were made. You might want to ask Steve Weber about it to make sure though. There is also the AT_Sprint Yahoo group.

I never made a contact on PSK with the MTR, but tried only once.. Not sure if Ray ever tried it.. It did send and receive though, I just didn't try much.

If you want to do PSK31, you might want to look for a Small Wonder Labs PSK20 or Warbler transceiver; also discontinued, but they show up sometimes. I got the last one, and it works really well, but no CW.

Maybe your solution is to sell your wife on Morse code as something fun to do.. You could also get a K42 CW Keyboard/Reader Kit: http://k1el.tripod.com/K42_C.html and use it with the regular MTR. The advantage in this case is that the other side doesn't need a PSK-able rig. That would also allow you to talk to your wife using a CW rig while she uses the K42 with another one.

Good luck,

Gil.

K7JLJ

Yeah, she's not opposed to learning CW, I just know that if I'm struggling and have 2X the spare time to learn, it will be quite a while for her. 

I really don't want a another phone rig though if I can help it. 

The Fx4 might be my only option then as it seems to be the smallest package available that's not a kit and isn't the worse QRP CW option a guy could find.

Thanks for the response

- Jim
-Jim

gil

QuoteYeah, she's not opposed to learning CW, I just know that if I'm struggling and have 2X the spare time to learn, it will be quite a while for her.

Well, you never know.. She might learn it much faster than you :o

QuoteThe Fx4 might be my only option then as it seems to be the smallest package available that's not a kit and isn't the worse QRP CW option a guy could find.

The FX4 seems to have a good reputation, but is often out of stock. I would look into getting one myself if they were available. As to the LD-5, for $25 more, I'd get the FT-817nd.

If you don't mind a single band rig, then the MFJ-94XX series with a CW module might be your ticket, 10W and under $300.. Not sure if they would work for digital though, as you probably need better stability for that..

Gil.

K7JLJ

Quote from: gil
Well, you never know.. She might learn it much faster than you :o

lol, I read this to her and the challenge was on.  Setting up LCWO.net account for her today.

I told here I was going  to start asking for radios in morse and she had to give a "yes" or "no" answer and double negatives = permission to buy so she better catch up fast. :)

Of course that's all theory and we know how application changes our view of theory sometimes!

- Jim
-Jim