What equipment do I need to start sendind email?

Started by Joe, June 24, 2014, 04:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardSinFWTX

WL2K is the system that you're accessing via RMSExpress.

Winmor is a protocol used by RMS Express in this case.

I'm hoping that Santa helps me out with a Raspberry Pi computer.  I bought one on my own just in case and have a TNC-Pi coming from Coastal Chip Works in the next day or two.  My next building project is going to be using the Rpi and the TNC-Pi paired up with my old FT-8900 into a satellite / EmComm station in a Pelican 1550 case.

Quietguy

Quote from: Lamewolf on December 17, 2015, 07:12:54 AMIs the Winmor and WL2K all included in the RMSexpress, or is it separate software ?

As Richard said, Winlink (WL2K) is the system you want to access.  Winmor is the sound card mode RMS Express uses to connect to WL2K stations.  It is an option built into RMS Express, you don't have to install any other software.  I installed RMS Express, told it to use the SignaLink device, went through the configuration and everything seemed to work the way it should.

I didn't have any problems installing RMS Express in Windows 7 - could you be having Windows compatibility problems, like maybe some of the new Windows 10 security signing requirements?  I don't have Win10 so I don't know if there are any issues there.

Wally

Lamewolf

Quote from: Quietguy on December 18, 2015, 12:38:48 AM
Quote from: Lamewolf on December 17, 2015, 07:12:54 AMIs the Winmor and WL2K all included in the RMSexpress, or is it separate software ?

As Richard said, Winlink (WL2K) is the system you want to access.  Winmor is the sound card mode RMS Express uses to connect to WL2K stations.  It is an option built into RMS Express, you don't have to install any other software.  I installed RMS Express, told it to use the SignaLink device, went through the configuration and everything seemed to work the way it should.

I didn't have any problems installing RMS Express in Windows 7 - could you be having Windows compatibility problems, like maybe some of the new Windows 10 security signing requirements?  I don't have Win10 so I don't know if there are any issues there.

Wally

Well, first I don't have internet at home right now so I have been trying to download RMSexpress to a thumb drive.  The firewall at work has the download site blocked, and I have to access it through a proxy server.  We have a computer in our lunch room that I do this on and have done it with several other programs with no problems at all, but the RMS express either show file invalid after the download or stops downloading at 50%.  We have unlimited wifi for customers, so I may have to go through it with my laptop and download it direct and see if that works.  But I would like to get it working at least until I can find an affordable internet service.  I'm running Windows 8 on the laptop and the desktop I will be setting up will have Windows 7 on it.  All my other programs such as FLdigi, Digipan, Multipsk, etc work flawlessly so far using the Signalink USB and my homebrew USB interface (schematic below).

Lamewolf

Quote from: Lamewolf on December 18, 2015, 09:34:18 AM
Quote from: Quietguy on December 18, 2015, 12:38:48 AM

Wally

Well, first I don't have internet at home right now so I have been trying to download RMSexpress to a thumb drive.  The firewall at work has the download site blocked, and I have to access it through a proxy server.  We have a computer in our lunch room that I do this on and have done it with several other programs with no problems at all, but the RMS express either show file invalid after the download or stops downloading at 50%.  We have unlimited wifi for customers, so I may have to go through it with my laptop and download it direct and see if that works.  But I would like to get it working at least until I can find an affordable internet service.  I'm running Windows 8 on the laptop and the desktop I will be setting up will have Windows 7 on it.  All my other programs such as FLdigi, Digipan, Multipsk, etc work flawlessly so far using the Signalink USB and my homebrew USB interface (schematic below).

UPDATE !  Got RMSexpress downloaded and installed finally and even been able to send a few emails both with my Signalink USB and my homebrew interface.  Haven't been able to receive any email yet with it but that is because of operator error and I have just learned from another discussion group how to fix that and will give it a try when I get home this evening.  Actually was able to send email running total battery power with my laptop, homebrew interface, and my Icom 703 running 5 watts - pretty cool !