Jumpstart me on PSK31...

Started by John Galt, August 28, 2014, 02:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Galt

I use a spotbot when I'm messing with the radio anyhow so I've got a Win7 laptop and a Yaesu FT-450D in front of me.  I guess I've got most of what I need to do digital modes but I'm not sure what's missing.
I'm thinking a SignalLink USB and some software?  I need to do my research/homework this weekend but does anyone know exactly what I would need to get started? 
Which software packages would be good for this?

RichardSinFWTX

FLDigi and DigiPan are the two most popular packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK0G

FLDigi was my favorite but I haven't done any digital work in years so I don't know what's currently out there for software.

As far as an interface, it can be as simple as two patch cords. It's not an ideal set up but I did it that way for a while. Route radio audio out into the sound card mic in, and sound card audio out into radio mic in. Technically the rig and sound card should be isolated to prevent ground loops, RFI etc., but I had no problems with that at QRP. You'll also have to key the transmitter manually - I used a foot operated switch but a TX button on trhe rig front panel would also work. I experimented with VOX to key the transmitter but it wasn't very reliable.

The one major disadvantage to this method is that if you use the rig or computer for anything else and change the audio settings in either or both of them, you'll have to go back in a re-apply all the settings each time you run digital modes.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

kat

I use the older free version of hrd...and a modified signalink usb

Running qrp ft-817nd and an older windows xp laptop serves the task well

Sent from my HTC Aria

RichardSinFWTX

If you have an iPad, iPhone or Android device there is an interface that will allow you you connect the device to your radio and do PSK31.  I'll see if I can find the link where I got mine and post it here.

EasyDigi Interface for iPhone and iPad: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-DIGI-PSK-INTERFACE-FOR-IPhone-IPad-IPod-Touch-/321424956366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad66b9bce

I'm sure they make something for Android too; but I can't find it.  :'(

John Galt

No iPad, iPhone or Android.   :(    I'm still using a Blackberry.  At least it's free.   ;D

Thanks for the help, y'all.  I'm going to do some more research this weekend but it sounds like the SignalLink/FLDigi might be the combination I need.  I can save ten bucks if I order the SignalLink today so I guess that part's good as done.

madball13

Quote from: John Galt on August 29, 2014, 10:34:34 AM
No iPad, iPhone or Android.   :(    I'm still using a Blackberry.  At least it's free.   ;D

Thanks for the help, y'all.  I'm going to do some more research this weekend but it sounds like the SignalLink/FLDigi might be the combination I need.  I can save ten bucks if I order the SignalLink today so I guess that part's good as done.

Solid combo. I have the 857. May want to pick up the programming/cat cable for the 450 so you can use your computer to change stations/freqs if you choose.

John Galt

Quote from: madball13 on September 04, 2014, 04:45:25 PM
Solid combo. I have the 857. May want to pick up the programming/cat cable for the 450 so you can use your computer to change stations/freqs if you choose.

Agreed!  I'm already starting to eyeball those so if you have any suggestions on the details I'd appreciate them.

I got the SignaLink/FLDigi combo working much faster than anticipated.  I'm receiving PSK31 well and starting to look at RTTY a little.  Although I think I'm ready to xmit hardwarewise, I need to watch and learn for awhile.  One area I need to strengthen is my grasp of the terminology.  Apparently, a lot of the lingo comes from a past epoch and those CWers talk real funny.   ;)

Lamewolf

Quote from: John Galt on August 28, 2014, 02:29:58 PM
I use a spotbot when I'm messing with the radio anyhow so I've got a Win7 laptop and a Yaesu FT-450D in front of me.  I guess I've got most of what I need to do digital modes but I'm not sure what's missing.
I'm thinking a SignalLink USB and some software?  I need to do my research/homework this weekend but does anyone know exactly what I would need to get started? 
Which software packages would be good for this?

You can build an interface for cheap like the one I built below !

Lamewolf

Quote from: kat on August 29, 2014, 12:50:19 AM
I use the older free version of hrd...and a modified signalink usb

Running qrp ft-817nd and an older windows xp laptop serves the task well

Sent from my HTC Aria

Modified in what way - care to share ?