Code checking Thread. Check my keying!

Started by freax, September 27, 2014, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freax

*Censored*

KK0G

It's not too bad, I was able to copy it. I can tell you were using a straight key. One thing to work on is your spacing between characters, at around J your timing started to be erratic and characters were beginning to run together but I've heard far worse on the air. Keep up the practice and good luck.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Yes, pretty good.  Adding emphasis to KK0G's post, the thing that hurts readability the most is running the characters together.  Better to leave too much space between the letters than too little.  I can copy some pretty sloppy stuff (within my speed range) so long as the characters aren't run together.

KW4HKY

Wish I could. I wondered why I could not comprehend ANY CW.
Had a hearing test and I'm tone deaf.

KK0G

Quote from: KW4HKY on October 06, 2014, 05:13:55 PM
Wish I could. I wondered why I could not comprehend ANY CW.
Had a hearing test and I'm tone deaf.

Don't let that stop you from learning code because you don't need to be able to discern one tone from another at all in order to copy code. All you need to be able to discern is whether a tone (any tone, as you can adjust the sidetone of your receiver to any tone you can hear and/or that just pleases your ear) is on or off. If you can hear at all, you can learn to copy code.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KW4HKY

Thanks. Do the code readers help or is that a crutch? Does dyslexia factor in?

KK0G

Quote from: KW4HKY on October 07, 2014, 11:14:10 AM
Thanks. Do the code readers help or is that a crutch? Does dyslexia factor in?

Yes, yes, no. Now let me explain 8) .

Would a code reader help? Well, sure, it would help someone copy code who doesn't know how to copy code, but it sure won't help you learn how to copy code. In other words, no, I don't recommend a code reader.

Does dyslexia factor in? I'll start with the obvious fact that I'm in no way an expert on dyslexia or specifically how it effects ones ability to learn. I do know that it affects a persons ability to read text and therefore I'll make an educated guess that it would have little to no effect on learning code since you're using a completely different part of the brain (auditory instead of visual) to copy code.

KK0G

gil

QuoteI don't recommend a code reader.

Using a code reader will extend your learning time many times over! Don't use one.

Gil.

cockpitbob

I'll confess to using one a few times (Android app).  Mainly I used it as a back-up for my poor code skills while I was in the early stages of learning so I didn't miss too much in a qso.  For on the air stuff with QRN and imperfect keying it wasn't that good anyway.

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on October 07, 2014, 03:31:24 PM
I'll confess to using one a few times (Android app).  Mainly I used it as a back-up for my poor code skills while I was in the early stages of learning so I didn't miss too much in a qso.  For on the air stuff with QRN and imperfect keying it wasn't that good anyway.
Out of curiosity I've played with code reading software a few times and you're correct, it doesn't work for shit unless it's reading near perfectly sent code via a strong signal. Even then it tends to get a few characters wrong here and there although admittedly not usually enough to not get the meaning of what was sent.

In my opinion there's practically no valid reason why anyone of normal intelligence can't learn Morse code if they want to, and that's the key; you have to WANT to learn it. I can say this because I was the same way many years ago, I used many of the same excuses but truthfully I just didn't want to learn it. Once I made my mind up that I wanted to learn it, it was much easier than I dreaded it would be. Just do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK0G

gil

Using my K1 has made me progress much faster than using my KX3 which has a screen with the decoded Morse code scrolling.. It is a good decoder, though again, it needs a pretty good signal and near-perfect timing. The problem is that glancing at the screen is too easy.. It makes one lazy about staying focused. With my K1 or MTR I have no choice but to listen very carefully.

Gil.