Get on HF with a tech license

Started by Luigi, November 16, 2014, 04:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luigi

I like the fact that the technicians can get on hf with cw. This gives them a chance to see if they want to go for the general exam.
I just had a nice cw ragchew with a novice on 15 meters who has been an amateur longer than I have been alive. His code a excellent. Anyways, it is great that limited sections are available for all licensed users to use.
Propagation has been kind this afternoon.
Luigi

cockpitbob

Quite true.  Unfortunately, I'm guessing that less than 5% of new Technicians will learn Morse before the get their General.

I would love to see statistics about how many recent hams know Morse.  I'm guessing very few.

gil

I think less than 1% of hams will learn Morse, period.

Gil.

K7JLJ

Count me in that 1%.  I just got my ticket 10 days ago and have started learning code via LCWOL.net

I'm studying for general but will not test until I have a solid 5WPM but hope for more.

I think it's a shame that code is no longer required. I'm fascinated by the heritage and purist aspects of it, but I'm weird that way I guess.

Sorry if I was suppose to make an intro post somewhere but this topic got me to post.

If anyone has tips on learning morse, I'm listening!
-Jim

RadioRay

USMC0331-

Congratulations of the Technician license and fine on your plans for General. Morse on HF is simple amazing in it's ability to penetrate noise and allows communication when voice absolutely will not. When you have a chance, you might want to pull-up some of the article son this site about operating on backpacking trips, using an indoor loop antenna and even 'Coffeshop Portable' .  We'll do what we can to help you with the code.

>RadioRay  ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

QuoteCount me in that 1%.  I just got my ticket 10 days ago and have started learning code via LCWOL.net

Excellent! I wish more people did what you are doing. I would suggest learning at 15wpm though, at least. Below or above 15wpm are two different animals, and you can save a lot of time by learning at 15wpm+. Even if it seems harder in the beginning...

Gil.

K7JLJ

Thanks Radio Ray & Gil.

I just started so I don't have any bad habits yet, but appreciate the tip.  I was at yesterday, but will change it to 15

Current parameters: Character Speed = 10 wpm, Effective Speed = 10 wpm, Tone = 800 Hz

I also updated my account USMC0331 = KG7OVN
-Jim

K7JLJ

Alright, I just tried K/M at 15WPM and it's 4X harder than 10WPM!  You guys wouldn't be sending me after a "left handed smoke bender" with this would ya? LOL
-Jim

gil

LOL, nah.. The reason is that below 15wpm you can still visualize the dits and dahs, which is bad, because above 15wpm that method does not work. That is a bad habit. So, if you learn below 15wpm, you will later have a hard time to break that barrier, because it is a different way of thinking. I lost months because I started learning at 7wpm. The best way is also to not write anything down, to train your short-term memory to assemble letters into words in your head. Now, both make it harder, 15wpm and head copying is not easy to learn from the get go... However it will make it much easier later and faster for you to reach higher speeds. As soon as you develop the neural pathways to head-copy at a decent speed, it will be much easier and you will progress much faster. Make sure you do not visualize dots and dashes!

Gil.

K7JLJ

OK, I'm gonna try for sure.  I have not even looked at what the dot-dash is, just listening for the letter pattern.  Do I need to learn the dit-dah for each letter and if it can cause a stumbling block, can I learn them latter?

I was trying to write them down and at 15 it's pretty tough.  I can see trying to head copy once I get to words, but for KMKKM KM KKMK KMMMM MKK etc...  There is no way I can keep that randomness in my head, is there? 

Maybe just do one "word" for now then pause the audio and write it down whole?  Like listen "KMMKM", pause tape, write "KMMKM" and then start tape?

Or can you really see 1 minute of tape in your head eventually when they are not words. 

Thanks!
-Jim

Luigi

Hey there. It is great to see that you have joined the ranks of the amateur service. Learning code is great as well. PM me when you want to chat on cw. Your license allows 3525-3600, 7025-7125, 21025-21200 kHz on cw. That is a great way to get to know the bands. Study a little bit and you can take and easily pass the general exam.

Have fun. Welcome.
Luigi.

gil

QuoteDo I need to learn the dit-dah for each letter

Don't learn them if you can avoid it.

Quotebut for KMKKM KM KKMK KMMMM MKK etc...  There is no way I can keep that randomness in my head, is there? Maybe just do one "word" for now then pause the audio and write it down whole?  Like listen "KMMKM", pause tape, write "KMMKM" and then start tape?

I don't think more than a couple "words" would be possible this way. Once you learn real words it will be easier.

Gil.

RadioRay

KG7OVN -

Oh, I see what you're getting at.  No words yet, because you are learning the letters.

1.  Do not look at a dot/dash chart of any kind. It will actually slow your learning
// You are correct by learning the sounds only.//

2.  Parameters such as individual letter speed of 15-20 WPM is desired for the reasons Gil mentioned.  You must leave a long space between chars so that the effective speed is 5 WPM or so.  This gives you the right sound for each char, but allows your mind time to handle the information. Speed comes after accuracy.

3.  For me, head copy is very tough at slow speeds and basically impossible with random groups. Head copy comes after paper copy.  At these learning speeds, with only random letters available, I do recommend pencil copy so that you're not memorizing license plate numbers - moo-ha-ha-ha!  With paper copy you can grade your copy and asses your progress.  Also, it's a skill building exercise for when you need to take notes during a radio contact (name,location, call sign, cute sisters' phone number    :-*    ) or to copy an entire message.

Once you're above 5-8 WPM it's time to begin making radio contacts.  Using Morse as a language is the key difference between Knowing Code and knowing about code. It's a lot like wilderness survival skills: a lot of people have things they've seen on TV in their heads, but zero experience: hence they know about survival skills, do not 'own their skills' .

de RadioRay   ..._  ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

K7JLJ

Excellent Ray, thanks!  I think my Elmer is going to start working code with me on 2M while I'm at work (Maytag Repairman) but I'm not there yet.
-Jim