mcHF QRP Tranciever

Started by KK0G, April 04, 2015, 09:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

I just discovered this: mcHF QRP Tranciever. It looks like it could be a very interesting QRP kit although it's still in developmental stage. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

madball13

Dam it!

I missed this post when it first aired. Looks interesting to say the least.

cockpitbob

I'm still watching this.  It's looking pretty far along.  He's got complete kits (no enclosure) for about 230 GBPounds shipped.  There is a 3D printable enclosure, and I just happen to have a 3D printer 8) , so I'm all set there.  The one thing that's stopping me is the current draw is over 400mA on Rx.  When I compare that to an FT-817's 300ma, and that the 817 will do...everything, I'm a lot less excited about the mcHF.  Still, it's half the price of a used FT-817, has the waterfall display and it's just cool, so I'm still on the fence. ???

Rescue9

I should do a writeup on my experience in building one now that I can actually transmit. The power is down to 360 mA with lcd brightness at full, but I'm not sure what the draw is on minimum, or when auto blanking is enabled. There are numerous modifications to the current 0.4 UI and RF boards that both improve and decrease power draw. I'm still troubleshooting a problem with my TX fets, but receive is purely beautiful. Look for a rewview from me in approximately a month or so. In addition, there is an aluminum case that someone in Sweeden (think that's the state) is selling. It's custom made for the mcHF.  I should have mine in a few days so that'll be in the review as well.

cockpitbob

Rescue, yes please keep us updated.

Dumb question, but will it do PSK over USB, or with sound card audio plugs, or not at all?

gil

I am watching it too, but 400mA is a lot of current draw. Nice screen though.

Gil.

Rescue9

It does psk with a single sound card really well since you can plug in the headphones or listen to the onboard speaker. USB is still being implemented.  CAT function is also being implemented currently. Touchscreen additions were pushed into one of the past few weeks dev build. Awaiting more features before pushing to master branch and production.

caulktel

I want to build one also, but I wish Chris would sell it as a complete kit without having to source the finals and the case. I know it seems trivial, but I don't want to spend $400 only to find out I still need to find more parts. I only want the the metal case. I think the printed ones are ugly. My .02 worth.

Joel
KB6QVI

cockpitbob

Anyone have an update on this radio?  I see he has full kits in stock for 270 GBPounds (about $390USD) shipped (less speaker and final MOSFETs). So tempting despite the 400mA Rx current draw.

Rescue9

I tabled my build until RF board hits version 5. Fried a couple traces and had problems with some of the mods. No worries though. I'd do the version 4 again, but I'd take my time this time.

caulktel

I see the Chinese have copied Chris's mcHF transceiver. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-8-Color-LCD-QRP-HF-DIY-Kits-for-mcHF-SDR-Radio-UI-0-4-Manual-/141874369625?hash=item21085f1459:g:TrwAAOSwZG9WkyaV
I don't think I would touch this with a ten foot pole. I read that this was done without his approval and violated the Open Source rules.

Joel
KB6QVI

Sparks

Update: "Complete kit v 0.6 is in stock" as of March 12, 2017: http://www.m0nka.co.uk/?p=5747

Check main page for "Complete Kit v 0.6 Assembly Error", etc.: http://www.m0nka.co.uk/

A local ham friend of mine just announced on Facebook that he will be building one, that's how I became aware of this kit.

gil

Nice, I have been watching it for some time... This kit is becoming more interesting every year. If I had the money right now i'd buy one.

Gil.

cockpitbob

I've also kept my eye on it.  It seems battery technology has improved a lot in the year and a half since this thread started.  The 400mA current draw isn't good, but doesn't look like a deal killer anymore. With 3,000mAh 18650 batteries available you can fit 10hrs of operating in your hand.

gil

I bet current draw would be much lower with the screen off...

Gil.