Local ham community

Started by NCGunDude, April 16, 2015, 06:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCGunDude

I didn't attend a rather large local ham fest recently, no funds. Now I'm hearing about all these great deals everyone found.

How active are you guys in your local ham community? How active is your community?

I'm only on local repeaters. No HF yet. However, I've pretty much settled on getting a ICOM 718 when funds allow.

Haven't heard anyone on recently. I'm assuming that means everyone has projects they're working on. Mine is a large n-tier application I'm writing in Java. Hope to finish it up by Memorial Day. What's everyone else doing these days?

73's

KK0G

When I was first licensed 15 years ago I was fairly active in the local ham scene, I was active on the local repeaters and did the club thing for a while. I still know quite a few of the local hams and still chat with them when I happen upon them, usually at a hamfest, but I haven't transmitted a phone signal on amateur radio in many years. To be honest, you guys are pretty much my ham community now....... aww, don't you guys feel special now? 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

I'm in a well populated area (25min north of Boston).  The ham community is fairly active in this area.  There are multiple clubs within 30 miles of me.  Each has a weekly net on their repeater.  The one I belong to actually owns a building (bought the 100+ year old fire house from the town for almost nothing).  They open the club Tuesday nights for whatever, and Sunday mornings they serve breakfast for $5 for a scholarship fund.  There's several EmComm groups, lots of volunteers for public events like marathons, bike races and parades.  Yup, it's a pretty active community.

As for me, I've got 2 teenage boys, a demanding job and chores I don't seem to be able to keep ahead of, so I don't get out much.  But, in 4 days I'll be doing communications for a water station at mile-8 of the Boston Marathon.  For a long day's work I get a pin and a jacket I'll never wear again. 8)

gil

Hello,

I just gave an impromptu speech at a prepper meeting... I was just going for the food ;) I did bring my UV-5R and MTR however to show them off. There were other hams there, though it was a very small group, a dozen people maybe. The ham community here is pretty quiet. You hear a handful of conversations daily on the repeater. They do organize events to support local marathons, bicycle races, etc. I think it is a good way to promote ham radio.

Gil.

NCGunDude

I've been involved with our local group supporting public service events, like bike rides. Probably do less this year than the 15 events I did last year.

Besides public service events, Skywarn is also active locally.

I've taken the online FEMA training which is required for ARES/RACES by the state, but they're not active. Then there's CERT, and CAP. One of the local hams is very involved with them.

I hope I've gotten the RSS feed setup properly on my aggregator. I haven't been getting posts, but I think it's working now. We'll see.

RichardSinFWTX

My local community is pretty active.  Our monthly meeting was last night.  It was all about Field Day coming up in June.  We've also got a public service event this weekend for the March of Dimes.  Next week we've got a police and family carnival.  We've also got a couple more public service events in the next month.

I guess maybe the hams around my neck of the woods may be a little more active than others.