Unbuilt Vintage Kits.

Started by gil, May 03, 2015, 02:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NavySEAL

WOW!    I have a HW-8 (built it when I was a novice many years ago)  love the little guy........they are asking 318$ for the kit.  I might let mine go for $3500:)  It is always ready to go on 40 meters.......day or night. Made my very first ham contact with it.

cockpitbob

The HW-8 kit also got my attention.  I bet there's a lot of old hams that would love to re-live their childhood with it.  I'm going to watch that one just for fun.  I bet it goes for over $500.

KK0G

I've seen that HW-8 and the matching power supply and tuner being posted and re-posted on eBay multiple times in the last year. I didn't pay close enough attention to see if it's been reposted by the same seller or different ones but my guess is it's the same seller and it's not reaching the reserve he has set on it.

The HW-8/HW-9 are kind of cool rigs and I wouldn't mind owning one but it would have to be dirt cheap for me to buy one, as in less than $50. I already own multiple QRP rigs that are way smaller and lighter, use far less current, and the receiver performance isn't even remotely in the same league.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

I am watching the Ameco AC-1, but since I want to get the new MTR5B... Can't afford both.

Gil.

Jim Boswell

Years ago I built a Heathkit HW-9. I still have that little radio. Even if I am not good at CW, the HW-9 receiver is darn good, the best of the HW QRP rigs. Back about 1990 Heathkit had a magazine and I wrote some 1/2 page articles for that magazine. I used the funds they paid me to buy the HW-9, talk about a special radio that I will never part with. One of the few Heathkits I built that I did not make any mistakes. I am kind'a proud of that too. 73'S  KA5SIW

cockpitbob

Quote from: cockpitbob on May 03, 2015, 02:27:52 PM
The HW-8 kit also got my attention.  I bet there's a lot of old hams that would love to re-live their childhood with it.  I'm going to watch that one just for fun.  I bet it goes for over $500.
I was wrong.  It went for $638!!!!!!