Has the KX1 Changed Much?

Started by cockpitbob, March 26, 2014, 07:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockpitbob

I've decided I've outgrown my 2 band R4020 and want a KX1.  I have a line on a used one that is 5 years old.  Supposidely it's very lightly used and has never been in the field.  It's a little pricey, but cheaper than new and I'm an electrical engineer who does a lot of soldering for a living.  I'm also very busy so a big soldering project just doesn't appeal.

Do any of you QRP gurus know if there have been noticable changes to the KX1 in the last 5 years?

gil

Hello Bob, I don't think they have changed much. Elecraft would be glad to tell you. All the mods for their transceivers are well documented for everyone to upgrade. There could be a firmware update, in which case you might need to change an IC. Usually other upgrades are minor components to change or add. I might get one myself if I miss the next Weber MTR release, but I do want to build it! I suggest you join the Elecraft email reflector and ask.. You'll get an answer in a matter of hours.

Gil.

KK0G

I'd follow Gil's advice to contact Elecraft, they'd be more than happy to tell you. That said, I don't think there have been any changes to the KX1 itself in 5 years other than perhaps a firmware upgrade. The optional 30 meter module was changed to a 30/80 meter module which I believe necessitated a subsequent change to the optional ATU module, but I don't know if that happened in the last 5 years or not.

As to the Elecraft e-mail reflector; I found it practically useless when I was building my KX1 and my K2. Ever since the explosion in popularity of the K3 and KX3, the overwhelming majority of the traffic on the reflector pertains to those models with little traffic concerning the traditional kit built Elecraft models. Your mileage may vary.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

I just signed up for the email reflector and searched it a bit and KK0G is right about there being very little KX1 traffic on it.  Still, maybe a moderator will chime in. 

The unit has the 83/20 module and ATU so I am probably good to go.

KK0G

It's a great little rig, not perfect but in my opinion the best trail friendly radio on the market at this time, I love mine.

The only improvement I made to mine was to add antenna binding posts so I could eliminate the need for a BNC adapter. It's a very tight fit but worth the hassle of all the measuring I had to do. Incidentally, the only thing I ever posted to the Elecraft reflector was info/drawings of how I did that mod...... it got exactly zero responses :o .

Does it have the paddle kit also? That one is very handy.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Would there be any space in the case for a small speaker?

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on March 26, 2014, 11:15:41 PM
Would there be any space in the case for a small speaker?

Gil.
While nothing is really ever impossible - we've landed men on the moon after all 8) - for all practical purposes......... no freakin' way! It was a challenge for me to find room for two tiny studs to protrude into the case, a speaker? Ain't gonna happen.

I gotta hand it to the Elecraft engineers that designed the KX1, they did not waste any space. To me, fitting all those pieces together into such a compact package is a more impressive engineering feat than the design of the K2 which itself is impressive engineering.

KK0G

gil

QuoteI gotta hand it to the Elecraft engineers that designed the KX1, they did not waste any space.

Thanks, I guess we can't ask for the impossible. I would have loved a K1 with a DDS VFO, that would be the dream rig for me...

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, thanks for telling me about the Elecraft email reflector.  I've gotten about 6 hits so far and all are consistent.  Adding the 80/30 option was the last significant change.  I'm fine with any little tweaks and updates.  I think I'll pull the trigger on this one.  It also has the N0SS 600hz pll board that will help my tone deaf ears zero beat.

cockpitbob

It is done ;D .  My 4-band KX1 with tuner, paddles, spinner knob and 600hz PLL thingie is on the way.  Being an Elecraft owner I suddenly feel different  8) .

Thanks for all the advice!  Especially telling me about the Elecraft email reflector.  I got over a dozen replies in less than a day and they were all consistent.  I also got about 20 other emails about other Elecraft stuff.  That is a very active group!

gil

QuoteBeing an Elecraft owner I suddenly feel different  8) .

You are  8) LOL.

Gil.

KK0G

Welcome to the Elecraft collective Bob, I have a feeling you'll really like your new KX1.

WARNING: This will not be your last Elecraft rig ;D .

KK0G