Setup for post-collapse communication with family?

Started by rg, September 01, 2012, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunflower

MIA

Quote from: Frosty on September 27, 2012, 08:05:13 PM
Quote from: gil on September 27, 2012, 03:57:15 PM
Anything below 60miles, a cheap VHF mobile like the Yaesu FT-2900R (75W) and a Yagi-Uda antenna will do it. You're looking at $250 top, for both items.

60 miles on VHF? Not without a repeater.   VHF won't bounce off the ionosphere, LOS between the antennas X 1.4 is the general rule for distance I think.

Actually 60 miles on VHF is easily doable as long as you have moderate power (50 - 100w), a decent directional antenna, especially on SSB. We have weekly 6m and 2m SSB nets with ops checking in from the 100+ mile range, some from quite a bit further. After about 150 miles it can get a lot tougher and requires larger antennas, more power and a degree of cooperation from propagation. Don't fall into the trap of only thinking FM when discussing VHF and higher frequencies.

gil

You can do 200 miles on 2m SSB with a Yagi and some power... No repeater.

Gil.

Jonas Parker

Quote from: Sunflower on October 13, 2012, 12:12:10 PM
Did someone mention Marine Radios?

I hope not. Mari8ne VHF is line-of-sight (if you're lucky).

MIA

Quote from: Jonas Parker on October 16, 2012, 12:23:05 PM
Quote from: Sunflower on October 13, 2012, 12:12:10 PM
Did someone mention Marine Radios?

I hope not. Mari8ne VHF is line-of-sight (if you're lucky).

Marine band is not much different than 2 meters, being around 156 - 162 MHz. You can construct a beam (yagi) antenna and get 40 to 60 miles over most terrains without too much trouble. Of course, the flatter the terrain, the better. Add a small (100 - 200w) brick type amplifier and you can increase your capability.

I know that the book says that VHF (and up) is line of sight only, and it is true to some extent, but in the real world it doesn't always work that way. There are ways of tweaking extra miles out of most frequencies. If conditions (financial or otherwise) restrict one's choices to a certain type of radio and/or frequencies, then it's just a matter of working with and around those limitations. Of course you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns, but there is usually that can be done to make a bit more distance.

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on October 15, 2012, 06:38:32 PM
You can do 200 miles on 2m SSB with a Yagi and some power... No repeater.

Gil.

Hmm...if you had a network of folks on 2m, spaced out at 100 to 150 miles apart, seems like you could have a reliable distributed (communications) network?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

Yes... That is why I bought a used Icom IC-271A. Yoiu can find 2m SSB rigs on Ebay for $200, there are so many of them available... A Yagi-Uda antenna is cheap to make or buy. Add a brick type amp and you get the range.. Of course NVIS will do the same for cheaper, but there is nothing wrong with experimenting and a backup is always nice to have.

Gil.