New Kit to Build

Started by Jim Boswell, January 23, 2013, 04:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Boswell

Got my HF Packer amp kit. I already had one HF packer amp but it is dead, now I have a full kit to build and all the tech info to repair the first amp. In the past I had camped with my TenTec ArgosyD. If this works out I can take the Icom 703 and Packer amp and get the job done. I will keep the Icom 7200 for Field-Day or heavy-duty portable use. The Icom 7200 is a great radio after you throw away or mod the HM-36 mic.
     Already looking forward to Spring weather and doing some camping. For over 30 years I thought doing Field Day using a pontoon would be a blast. Talk about something that would be total fun for a 2 operator Field Day group. Yes, just pass the hot dog and coke, and don't get mustard on the logsheet.
73'S  KA5SIW

KC9TNH

Quote from: Jim Boswell on January 23, 2013, 04:20:26 PMAlready looking forward to Spring weather and doing some camping. For over 30 years I thought doing Field Day using a pontoon would be a blast. Talk about something that would be total fun for a 2 operator Field Day group. Yes, just pass the hot dog and coke, and don't get mustard on the logsheet.
73'S  KA5SIW
I dunno; that sounds like way too much fun. I have this image of Captain Jim calling into 14300, "/marine mobile, pass the mustard, over."
;D

Sunflower

All the numbers went over my head, but not the enthusiasm. Glad you are so happy.

I hope I can attend a field day sometime. I will need to remember to ask the exam man/club to keep me in mind once I pass the test.

Jim Boswell

Sunflower,
     Some of the best fun I have had at Field Day was before I had my license. Field Day is total fun for me. I truly enjoy stretching out antennas, helping to set-up stations, all the visiting with people and cooking the food.

Guess after 30 years I am more of a helper than an operator.
     ON FIELD DAY THERE ARE PLENTY OF THINGS FOR EVERYONE TO DO, LICENSE OR NOT.
     ENJOY ALL THE FUN, 73's  KA5SIW

RadioRay

Hi Sunflower,

The field day and other operating ideas are good ones!  Some Field Day sites will have a "GOTA station", meaning a 'get on the air' station which is for both hams and non-hams to give it a try - supervised- by a 'control operator'.  These are usually voice, and sometimes 'digital modes' that is using a PC to 'keyboard' with other hams on the air. You might have heard about "PSK-31"?  Well, that is a digital mode and it's very similar to on-ine chats, but using radio, so no commercial infrastructure is needed.  If it all turned to molten metal , you could still 'chat' via radio; keyboard-to-keyboard, exchange files, pictures, and even e-mail over the air. 

Get to know the radio club and you will likely not have to wait for field day.  A simple 'Hey, I'd love to see how to make radio contacts.' comments to a group of hams will likely end-up putting you on the air withing a day or two.

While the 'utility' of a telephone is great, there is just something 'electric' about talking with someone in a distant place, using only the radio and nature: no infrastructure needed!

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

cockpitbob

Sunflower,
Some clubs take field day seriously, but most treat it like a party.  All are usually welcome.  The food committee is probably more important than the set-up crew.  I've been to field days where people were having so much fun just being there that some of the radios went unused for hours at a time.  And when they are used, it is often done with 2 people, one to operate and one to log.  Only 1 needs a license, and in fact, all that is needed is a licensed person "near by".  My point?  You don't need a license to have a blast at field day, and if you can put something yummy in people's bellies you won't just be welcome, you'll be wanted.