Possible /p operation Saturday night

Started by KC9TNH, August 15, 2013, 02:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Date:  17 August CDT (18 August ZULU sked times) THIS IS TENTATIVE

In order to insure the domestic tranquility I'll be attending b-i-l's bachelor party. It's down in NE Iowa at a game ranch where he's a regular. While this soiree' will be going on all weekend I'm just driving down Saturday, coming back Sunday AM. He's going to shoot a pig on Friday for a roasted conversion to calories on Saturday; and Iowans bow to no one in how to do that. Since I don't drink I thought making the regular 40m sked with KK0G (and straphangers) would still be good and I can watch folks fall into the fire pit from afar. I have to go back down the following week for the wedding (which blows away a great rifle class out west, grrr) so maybe I can tell what happened by the scars & gauze at the ceremony.  8)

Staying at a bunkhouse style cabin he recently turned his carpenter hands to, but no power (and no resultant noise from stupid civilization-type stuff like wallmount TV's) & unknown as to vittles in the morning. Ergo, the ruck which is light on radio gear and heavier on some chow and the existing load planned for camping. (Driving down so no need to just "dump it" & re-sort.)
"Sergeant Muldoon, I'm not a Marine. I believe in my comfort."Am hoping to keep the regular 0200Z sked with Chris and then perhaps try 20m if anyone is up that late.  If that's too late for the Southeast CONUS contingent I may be open to calling 20 at 0130Z instead, just to test the wire. I will either "point" the wire S or E; doesn't matter between Chris & I on 40m but that would give a nice 20m lobe to the SE.

Bandplan: Starting freq for the Saturday night 0200Z 40m sked is (currently) 7.037, up 1 usually in case of QRM.  For 20m I'll do some listening tonight around that time to get a sense of what works.  Am thinking in the area of 14.068; so those who might be listening on 20 or regularly operate there in the evening are welcome to provide input.

Gear will be the KX3, gel-cell, and 52.5' of wire with a 9:1 UNUN, and either the Palm mini paddle or key. They have been super-predictable on the KX3 "cw" side of the desk, and I may have to retire that beautiful Rube Goldberg-like Vibroplex. (While really neat, they do get out of adjustment and give me fits when I've been working the little Palm paddle.) Given the duty cycle of CW and the gel-cell I should be QRO with 10 watts for the whole trip.

KK0G

Awesome Wes, I'll be listening as usual but above all, have fun!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on August 15, 2013, 03:07:27 PM
Awesome Wes, I'll be listening as usual but above all, have fun!
Thanks; I'm not into "hunting" game on a fenced ranch, as that's an oxymoron for me. However, given the Yellow River runs through the property the little 4-wheeled mule may find a light spinning rod tossed in.
;)

RadioRay

I'll be out here listening. The 20m frequency may or may not make it, being a bit long.  However, the 40m freq should be fine.  Once again, 30m is the sweet spot.

With the new, off-center-fed-dipole scraping the ionosphere, the top of the antenna here in Virginia is practically line-of-site to you...    :o

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on August 15, 2013, 03:49:18 PM
I'll be out here listening. The 20m frequency may or may not make it, being a bit long.  However, the 40m freq should be fine.  Once again, 30m is the sweet spot.

With the new, off-center-fed-dipole scraping the ionosphere, the top of the antenna here in Virginia is practically line-of-site to you...    :o

>Ray
That's cool, I was thinking of seeing if Gil could copy, but 30 works big-time for me, easy. I'll still use 40m for the regular sked, If any others for whom 30m is a problem, or would prefer 20m, sing out. Otherwise may adjust the follow-on call to 30m, something like 10.111 or 10.114, etc.

RadioRay

Hey - try for Gil! It would be fun and if you optimize for his location, the worst is that I reach you on forty.

R
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on August 15, 2013, 04:40:24 PM
Hey - try for Gil! It would be fun and if you optimize for his location, the worst is that I reach you on forty.

R
OK, I'll stick with the original plan for now. I think you'll be able to copy on 20m anyway but we'll see...
maybe.
:)

KK0G

I'll listen on 20 meters also  but chances are we'll be too close for that band. If you want or need to change 30 meters just let me know, I'll gladly fire up the TS-2000.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on August 15, 2013, 04:54:23 PM
I'll listen on 20 meters also  but chances are we'll be too close for that band. If you want or need to change 30 meters just let me know, I'll gladly fire up the TS-2000.
Yep, we're way too close for anything but NVIS. (Although if I had a 20m wire wayyyyyy up there I could get that extra bran muffin rising out of the top.)  We'll do the 40m sked as usual (or attempt it). 20m is dessert and can be tried before or after. We know that 30 works also between us, but I'll be about 75mi closer too on Saturday so dancing with a familiar partner has its merits.
:)

KK0G

Yes, definitely take an ultralight spinning rig with you, excellent trout fishing there. If you get the chance check out Yellow River State Forest Paint Creek Unit, it's worth seeing even if you only get a quick drive through on your way back home.

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on August 15, 2013, 05:41:55 PM
Yes, definitely take an ultralight spinning rig with you, excellent trout fishing there. If you get the chance check out Yellow River State Forest Paint Creek Unit, it's worth seeing even if you only get a quick drive through on your way back home.
Roger!

RadioRay

30 meters or 20 meters ?

Geee, I just can't decide.  

ha ha ha

KC9TNH

EDIT 161735Z AUG 13

40 at 0200Z. This will be 7037 starting
20 at 0230Z. This will be 14068 starting
Thanks for finding someone that actually has less hair than me.
8)

DE KC9TNH QRT

KC9TNH

Apologies to those who might've been going to listen in. This got cancelled after getting there. Situation on the ground determined it wasn't gonna be conducive to anything resembling what was planned, and we boogied out of there early.

KK0G: With a hat tip (h/t) Thanks for the spinning rig advice; #2 son did dip a line before things got too crazy and caught a few 13-14" rainbows. We will definitely be getting back to that area on our own under less "TOH-GAH TOH-GAH" like circumstances. REALLY lovely area.  ;)

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on August 18, 2013, 09:18:12 AM
Apologies to those who might've been going to listen in. This got cancelled after getting there. Situation on the ground determined it wasn't gonna be conducive to anything resembling what was planned, and we boogied out of there early.

KK0G: With a hat tip (h/t) Thanks for the spinning rig advice; #2 son did dip a line before things got too crazy and caught a few 13-14" rainbows. We will definitely be getting back to that area on our own under less "TOH-GAH TOH-GAH" like circumstances. REALLY lovely area.  ;)

Sounds like you had a pretty good trip despite the lack of ham radio. All those glaciers, streams and the mighty Mississippi carved out some pretty impressive 'mountains' all those tens of thousands of years ago earning the area the nickname of the 'Iowa Alps'. The Iowa DNR does an excellent job of supplementing the native brook trout with browns and rainbows, so far knock on wood I've yet to go there and not catch trout, more often than not returning home with a full limit. Every time I go there I find new ground that I haven't yet explored.

KK0G