Started by gil, August 24, 2013, 11:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Every time I hear this, I get a rash  :o
Another one of these week-ends  >:(
Just venting...

Gil.

KK0G

Just think of it as an opportunity to hone your QRM fighting skills because they've been doing it since Marconi and I doubt they're going to end anytime soon. 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Sometimes I used them as "reverse beacon..." They ask me for a contest number, and I say "no test." I've emailed people who parked on QRP calling frequencies and called for hours on end with only 2 seconds between calls.. How disrespectful! They probably have their rig on automatic.. Not to offend anyone, but I've always thought contesting was ridiculous and most contesters do not care about others. There, I said it, now I feel better  8)  ::)

Gil.

KC9TNH

You have facets of radio that give you satisfaction and they have theirs, neither holding any higher moral ground than the other. There are nice folks & jerk-wagons in all areas of the journey on this planet.
For the sake of one's digestive system it might not be something worth getting worked up over.
:)

RadioRay

To Me - when 100,000 SPAMMERS hit my e-mail, or my cell phone, it's rude and probably criminal.  It would be one thing, if contesters remained in some segment of the band so that actual communication could occur on the remainder. or if contests are only a few times per year, but there are SO many and the general feeling, often put into writing by contesters is 'if you don't like it then get off the radio '  or another I heard"you need to get a bigger transmitter and stop your whining'.  Personally, I hate bad manners, so I'd likely dump the bum on the ground and while I lean on his larynx, tell him he should practice martial arts more or simply learn to throw himself on the ground.   That's how I see it.   ;) 

When one's 'hobby' by design, requires the wholesale infringement upon the lives of others - then it's at best rude, and possibly criminal, in a libertarian sort of way.

To me, it didn't matter too much what these guys did, back when we had 'the novice bands', because we generally had the bands free in there, because of the power limitation.  We also had fewer contests.

Now - how about afew idea?  Not that it's ever going to actually happen, but I do remember once the 'cure' for traffic jams being that nobody could drive until their car was paid-off!  ha ha  That would clear the roads in any major city. For those of us who drive 'beaters' it would be all free wheeling.  So how about for ham radio.?

1.   Any transmitter on the ham bands must be home made by the ham using it. (exceptions granted on a case-by-case basis for medical reasons).

2.  Any transmitter on the ham band must operate by human power.  (Hand cranks and contesting do not mix. See medical exemption above.)

3.  All logging must be in pen and paper, with confirmation by paper QSL cards attached and shipped to ARRL.

4.  Any person publishing the results of a ham contest will be flogged in the public square. (No publicized  'glory' = no contests for most people. Why do it, if nobody is going to tell you how GREAT you are?!?!?)

5.  Straight keys and microphones only - no automation of CQ's at all.  Violators will be violated in the public square.  :o

6.  Contests can last no longer than the OLDEST contestor is able to do so without urinating. (The bladder/prostate alarm clock rule would make for some very short contests.)     :o

Any more idea?  We can submit these to the the ARRL for consideration.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

I can write programs to generate many paper prize certificates  for non-existent contests. It's easy.

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

I can imagine being on a camping trip with my MTR (20/40m) during a contest week-end.. God forbid I'd break my leg out of cell phone range. I'd be calling SOS and some idiot would give me a 599 73 reply!  :-\ But seriously, Ray is right. I know I am always complaining about this, but it just keeps happening. Seems like about once a month, and sometimes those contests are BIG, worldwide. I have tried to call CQ during a contest and all the sudden some guy steps right in and calls CQ TEST every few seconds.. No QRL? Nothing. It's a free-for-all and they don't care who's toes they step on. After all, there are practically no consequences to rude behavior on the air. As much as I'd like to slap some of those guys around, I have never been arrested in my life and don't intend to, ever. I don't follow contests announcements, so if I go camping with my radio, basically it's a matter of chance. Should I have to check everywhere if there is a contest that week-end? Change my plans, work, etc. because of those guys? I can't wait for the new MTR to come out with 30m added! I could take my KX3 to the woods, but honestly, losing a $125 MTR is easier than losing a $1K KX3. I guess my K1 would work, I could lose $450 or so.. Still, I think that QRP calling frequencies should be left alone. But no, they need the whole freaking band! Use 30 and 17m? Sure, but not everyone has a rig with these bands. Why aren't contest organizations doing something about it? That is why the ARRL has never seen a penny from me.

Gil.

KC9TNH

Some of the foregoing is (to me anyway) partly tongue in cheek, some not. For the record, I would object to most of them on the grounds of their premise as might be applied to other areas of our lives. One person's "common sense" measure is another's oppression - an awful lot of bad law has been written thusly. I'm not going back to a flintlock, nor am I going to acquiesce to only owning a firearm that I can make from scratch with my own hands. Just one example. Such diktat is intolerable to me on principle, and on its face; there it is.

Quote from: gil on August 25, 2013, 06:51:12 PMWhy aren't contest organizations doing something about it? That is why the ARRL has never seen a penny from me.

Gil.
Here is where we'll agree; band enforcement and DISAVOWAL of any contest logs - the whole log, you're DQ'd, and that doesn't mean Dairy Queen cupcake. The IARUs, and here the ARRL, have to put their petite little foot where their mouths are.  When that is enforced IN PRACTICE by the same sanctioning body that wink-wink-nudge-nudge tell folks to go act like size-15 morons then it will change, not before. Here's ONE example of how that could work:

ANYONE heard contesting within a 5kHz window on 20m around 14.300 is DQ'd.  Anyone heard RESPONDING to the aforementioned knucklehead will not find their contest logs accepted. Both are on probation for 1 year, with name/call listed as such in the results for that event. Amateur radio as a self-policing entity? Horsehockey - and exactly why the ARRL and the current NRA do not get my dollars. I'll wait to see if they ever walk their talk.

End of sorta-kinda counter-rant. Although I agree with the source of the original burr in the saddle, I don't want to see any more "well-meaning" "common sense" measures applied to my life.  The term slippery slope is a cliche, but cliches have their place.

Also, my opinion only, any rig marketed as CW-only that doesn't include 30m from the get-go missed their marketing class and should be forced back a semester.

Harrumph.
:)

RadioRay

No Dairy Queen!!!!

>:( >:( :( :( :o :o :o :( :( :( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Now I am REALLY IRRITATED!

de RadioRay ..._ ._

Personally I'd be QUITE happy with carrying a weapon I design and build - as long as everyone ELSE is operating under the same limitation.  I'm an engineer - AND - crazy, which gives ME an ADVANTAGE!

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Well, I am not asking for regulations, just courtesy!

QuoteAlso, my opinion only, any rig marketed as CW-only that doesn't include 30m from the get-go missed their marketing class and should be forced back a semester.

It was an option at build time, but I had to choose between two bands and wanted 20/40. Now, if the new model comes out with three bands, I will most likely get one. It might have a touch keyer too! Though I would be disappointed if it was any bigger.. Or build another 2-band model with 15/30m or 17/30m... If I could find one. I should have kept my LNR FX-2! Their new FX-4 17/20/30/40m rig is nice, but it's getting too big for me and I already have a KX3, so..

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on August 25, 2013, 10:14:05 PM
No Dairy Queen!!!!

Now I am REALLY IRRITATED!
You can have all you want; I'm pretty sure you're not contesting with a Henry 3K AM centered on 14300. Plus, you get a pass for including the bacon cheeseburger which, done properly, is a substance more valuable than Kryptonite.