Intro, CW newbie and Building K-1

Started by KH7AX, February 16, 2015, 03:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KH7AX

Just wanted to send a short intro.
I'm an ex-Navy ET2 and current Firefighter/EMT.
I've always been intrigued by CW but even though I passed the 5WPM test for my General class I haven't been trying in earnest until recently.  And, have just finished inventory of the K-1 I'm very excited to build. Missed out on the K-1 4 band years but I did order another 2-band board. My coverage will be 40/20 and 30/17.  Hoping to take it with me on an upcoming vacation to Kentucky and make some QSOs with Europe.

Joe,  KH7AX

gil

Hi Joe, and welcome aboard!

The K1 is awesome, I built one too, 4-band. You'll be pretty happy with 40/20m. I hope you got the backlight option..

Gil.

KH7AX

Hi Gil,  I found this group when my k-1 search turned up a post you made awhile ago when you were building your 1st 4 bander and learning code. So thanks for that. If I may ask, how far has your code practice taken you?  Easily reading 20+ wpm yet?  I'm fishing for encouragement hihi.

KK0G

Welcome Joe, glad to have you aboard, and a budding CW operator to boot - you'll like it here.

Your code story is very similar to mine. I learned the code just barely good enough to pass the 5WPM test to get my General and then promptly abandoned it like a bad habit, I wanted nothing to do with that annoying beeping noise, I wanted phone privileges! Fast forward several years and I started paying attention to all the cool QRP kits on the market - but dammit if they weren't almost all exclusively CW only rigs. What were these people thinking? About 3 years ago I finally decided "Oh well, if I have to I guess I'll learn code so I can play with one of theses stupid QRP kits". And BAMMM!........that's how it starts, I bet I haven't picked up a microphone more than half a dozen times since then, there's 4 QRP kits in my shack that I built, and the only rig I even own that has phone capability is an old IC-735 stuffed in the closet.

You've been warned.  8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Hello Joe,

Learning code has been a slow uphill battle. I am now at 20wpm, sometimes copying some words at 30, but still missing a lot, especially the long words. The slightest distractions make me lose whole sentences.. I just need more practice. My intention now is to copy 20wpm reliably, not necessarily faster. Speed will come later. I think it is an attention and short-term memory issue, not necessarily code related, as I identify letters instantly. I use CW almost exclusively, so when I'm not doing Morse, I'm not on the radio...

Gil.

KH7AX

Sounds like I'm on the right trail then. It's my belief that the main thing in learning the code proficiently is not to give up.  Today I was trying to copy my instructor's message and I got the gist of his message without actually mentally converting sound to mental sentences. I didn't get the whole message,  however to understand the subject coming out of the void was pretty amazing. I'll get there. The more I get into CW the more intriguing it is to me.  Thanks for sharing your story Gil.  And also to the other members for their encouragement.

KK0G

With that attitude I guarantee you'll be code proficient in no time. Keep at it and if you're anything like me you'll discover that your proficiency will increase at a rate much faster than you thought it would, especially once you get on the air and start really having fun actually using your new skill. Good luck and let us know how you're coming along.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

BlinkyBill

Hi Joe,

I was just wondering what your rationale behind getting the K1 is when you have a TS-590s, which by all accounts are great for CW.  Is it more related to portable operation?

Just interested as the 590 is the HF rig I am considering

cockpitbob

Hi Joe, and welcome! 

Once you know the code you won't need to come to the mainland to talk to Europe.  CW is about 100 times more power efficient than SSB.  With a 3W rig and wire antenna I did a quick exchange with a Russian station.  When I looked him up I fell off my chair because I'm in MA and he was at an Antarctica science station 10,700 miles away.  When the propagation gods are smiling on you you'll be able to work the world with QRP CW.