My BitX20 Choice.

Started by gil, May 24, 2015, 10:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

I know, you're going to ask, "why would you buy a 20m SSB kit?" The short answer is: 14300; the maritime nets. See, I plan on doing some sailing, hopefully, nothing is certain, but... I have an Icom IC-M700 marine radio, which works just fine on 20m. Actually, it works everywhere except on CB frequencies. Problem is, it gobbles 2A on receive! I am used to 35mA from my MTR... I need something I can leave plugged-in for long periods without depleting the boat's battery, which already has to power the VHF 24/7 and navigation lights at night. I came up with two choices:

In the end the BitX20A won, but i am still not sure that was the right choice. I really, really like the MFJ-9420. I also really like building kits, humm... I really like to save $60. I know, not much of a difference, but I'm broke right now, so every little bit saved does help.

I hope the Hendricks, actually, Pacific Antenna kit, after change of ownership, is easier to put together than the Indian kit. I did buy an Indian kit a couple years ago but gave up; and that's from someone who built a K2... I only remember the instructions being dismal, or rather non existent. Maybe it is better now, who knows, but I wasn't going to take the risk. From what I've read, the Hendricks directions aren't that great either, though they always had good instructions for their other kits. I've bought a handful from qrpkits.com and never had any trouble.

The BitX20 seems like a good design and gets pretty good reviews. Output is 10W, like the MFJ-9420. It does not have an S-meter however, and no provision for CW. Both can be added later, but some knowledge is required. It does have a digital readout, unlike the MFJ, but that's a moot point.

This new radio will be a great complement to my K1 and MTR, which remain my main radios. If it wasn't for sailing, I probably would have rather bought a KD1JV Survivor, also from qrpkits.com, for NVIS operations on 80. I still might buy one... Ray, how do you like yours? Actually, the Survivor and Weber Tri-Bander use the same case, imagine a nice little stack... Incidentally the BitX20A has the same width... You see where I'm going with this... :o

I will be posting photos and my account of the build in this thread. My order was placed this afternoon, let's see how fast the new qrpkits.com can deliver...

Gil.

cockpitbob

You're headed down the path I'm on.  What I should have is an MTR for when weight counts and an FT-817 for when weight isn't that important and I want a rig that will do everything.  Used 817's can be had for under $550.  Between my KX1, MFT-9420, and TenTec R4020 I have over $600 into those rigs.  Still, building and having lots of little rigs is just so much fun.

K7JLJ

Don't kill the messenger here, but CW QRP is not a "Prepper" radio.

The prepper radio needs to be able to do it all for anyone that can read an SOP, licensed or not.

Nothing fits like the 8x7 series radios.

I just bought an  FT-817  that's software modify able for $450 with 3 batteries (if anyone want the batteries they are yours for shipping) and having 2-160 in one rig that size with packet, etc...

After 16 years there is still no better rig that does it all.  Major market share being missed IMO.

- Jim
-Jim

gil

Hello Jim,

Clearly CW doesn't do it all. It is only one component of a radio prepping strategy. The FT-817nd certainly is a great radio. It does draw 450mA on receive though, and is pretty pricey. If you are in a group and need to send out a long range patrol, you're probably not going to send them out with an 817. A tiny 80 or 40m CW rig would work NVIS on eight AA cells for a week..

Portable radios appeared in WWII, and they were definitely QRP. You don't get more "prepper" than that. You just couldn't beat them for mobility. The same applies today. A party operating 100 miles away needs to use NVIS. They probably would have to carry a whole lot of equipment and food for a couple weeks. Adding even a slightly heavier radio would be a big hurdle. Morse code also does add a layer of privacy, especially reasonably fast code. Low power NVIS is also hard to direction-find...

So, I'd say that CW QRP is definitely a prepper radio, very much so. It is just limited in its application, though it does what it is supposed to do very well.

Gil.

K7JLJ

Agreed on all, except having two code talkers in one group is probably as rare as hens teeth. :) 

When I say prepper group I'm talking about family / neighborhood sized groups.

Your scenario and historical application of the QRP CW could find its place in a resistance movement, but those are militia groups not preppers IMO. 

For a local group, 2M HTs is the backbone of comms but having he ability to reach a community 170miles away where my Mother-In-Law lives is a good reason for an HF.

We all see our scenarios the way we want to though, best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

For a group called "radio preppers" I seem to only see CW topics most of the time.

Not complaining because that's what I'm into learning on the comms end of prepparing but I did expect something different when I joined.

Doesn't help being the only guy in the room that doesn't speak the language, I just KNOW you all are talking about me! :)

- Jim
-Jim

NavySEAL

Jim
   I like what you said.
Bob

madball13

Quote from: K7JLJ on May 26, 2015, 01:55:59 AM
Agreed on all, except having two code talkers in one group is probably as rare as hens teeth. :) 

When I say prepper group I'm talking about family / neighborhood sized groups.

Your scenario and historical application of the QRP CW could find its place in a resistance movement, but those are militia groups not preppers IMO. 

For a local group, 2M HTs is the backbone of comms but having he ability to reach a community 170miles away where my Mother-In-Law lives is a good reason for an HF.

We all see our scenarios the way we want to though, best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

For a group called "radio preppers" I seem to only see CW topics most of the time.

Not complaining because that's what I'm into learning on the comms end of prepparing but I did expect something different when I joined.

Doesn't help being the only guy in the room that doesn't speak the language, I just KNOW you all are talking about me! :)

- Jim

Members here drive the content so if your not seeing something feel free to start it up. No one will criticize you for a non CW thread. I'm not a CW guy (yet) so i like to see info about all the modes.

As with anything you got trade offs. You can have a 2m HT that can only go few miles or you can have a CW rig, antenna, batteries and a solar panel to charge for the same weight but a lot more comms features. Of course you also need the skill.

I'm trying to build a group that can work 2m and SSB and have some key CW operators that relay info but this takes time, skill and dedication to learn and understand a new piece of equipment.

vwflyer

I agree with everybody. I'm not sure that's technically possible but it's nice to be agreeable sometimes. All the radio modes have potential as prepper modes depending on your specific imagined scenario. In Gil's scenario an extremely portable cw radio is the ideal thing. In other's it might be digital, SSB or FM. I think the fact that CW gets talked about so much here simply is an indication of how much we enjoy that particular mode. In my opinion and in the opinion of many here it is simply more fun and rewarding than other modes and we all tend to talk about our preferred modes more than other modes. I see lots of potential benifits to using PSK31 for example but in the pursute of my radio hobby I don't enjoy it as much so it gets less used by me and thus less talked about.

gil

QuoteFor a group called "radio preppers" I seem to only see CW topics most of the time.

Yes... I didn't plan it that way... All modes are welcome here of course and they all have something to offer. CW is so efficient, it is natural that it would be much talked about.

Of course 2m HTs are what I would get first for a group. I would also have an SSB HF radio and QRP CW rig. They all have different missions.

I am about to write a short post on NVIS, stay tuned...

Gil.

cockpitbob

Quote from: vwflyer on May 26, 2015, 04:34:29 PM
...I think the fact that CW gets talked about so much here simply is an indication of how much we enjoy that particular mode. In my opinion and in the opinion of many here it is simply more fun and rewarding than other modes....
Agreed.  Rewarding.  And the richest ham, with a field of towers, can't buy Morse skills.  It is something that has to be earned.  There's not many ways a guy living in a trailer park can get a rich guy to be jealous of him.  Morse skills is one.

WRT prepping, like so many things, the answer is "D   all of the above".  If we knew what we were prepping for we could say what "the best" is.  We don't, so we cover our bases.

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on May 26, 2015, 05:12:06 PM
.............. If we knew what we were prepping for we could say what "the best" is.  We don't, so we cover our bases.

Speak for yourself, personally I know what I'm prepping for - an earth invasion of highly trained, advanced extra terrestrials.............basically space ninjas.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Quietguy

Quote from: KK0G on May 27, 2015, 08:43:40 AM
.............. If we knew what we were prepping for we could say what "the best" is.  We don't, so we cover our bases.

Speak for yourself, personally I know what I'm prepping for - an earth invasion of highly trained, advanced extra terrestrials.............basically space ninjas.

Ahhh geeezze... you've been talking to RadioRay again.

Wally

KK0G

Quote from: Quietguy on May 27, 2015, 05:55:02 PM
Quote from: KK0G on May 27, 2015, 08:43:40 AM

Ahhh geeezze... you've been talking to RadioRay again.

Wally

Oh sure, go ahead and laugh it up while you can. Have ever seen what space ninjas can do?! Well I haven't either but I imagine they're scary as hell. If you think regular ninjas are scary just think what robot space ninjas are capable of. I read all about it on the internet. ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

The kit should be here on Friday! I can't wait to start on it. I need to order a ten-turn potentiometer and a varactor for a wider tunnig range. That should be the only deviation I'll make from the kit.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, you're really in a building mood these days  :) .  Be sure to leave some time to get outdoors and throw a wire up in a tree.  I will be just as soon and the spring crop of mosquitoes dies off.