Repurposing

Started by PuJo, December 31, 2014, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PuJo

Since a few of us are on the topic of repurposing.

I work in automation, (PLC's) I have a few AllenBradley Panelview 1200 with embedded Windows CE.
These are 10" touch screens for running automation. I was wondering if there were any ham apps that can run on CE?

If not, I can always remove the guts and maybe retrofit a RPI, but why reinvent if I don't have to.
They operate on 24vdc, and could possible be used while in the field. Power supply may be an issue.

Just kicking it around, wanted to see what you guys think.

Thanks,
PuJo

-- Searching the forum, I have seen quite a few post on repurposing. Any chance this can be a topic under the "General Categories"?
-- Also, How do I get Louisiana on the board for "State Wide"?

KK0G

For fixed operation with plenty of power available, 24 volts is relatively easy, but for portable work that could be a substantial stumbling block, enough so that I wouldn't want to tackle the project. I know I'm a party pooper but by the time I came up with ways to incorporate the Windows CE or worked around it, and then designed a reliable power supply, I could have could have picked up a tablet at WalMart for the same or even less money and it would run circles around what I could engineer. Sorry...... I'm a realist ;D .
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

PuJo

You are correct. By the time everything is done, I could have purchased something new.

But I can always use the touchscreen with a Raspberry Pi. Should work well.
Or, just use my MacAir and call it done.

Its not for the item, its the thrill of getting a plan together and a little Unobtanium and end up with a working unit.

But, in the end....you are correct. Need.. more.. power.. Scottie!!

KK0G

Quote from: PuJo on December 31, 2014, 05:33:59 PM
You are correct. By the time everything is done, I could have purchased something new.

But I can always use the touchscreen with a Raspberry Pi. Should work well.
Or, just use my MacAir and call it done.

Its not for the item, its the thrill of getting a plan together and a little Unobtanium and end up with a working unit.

But, in the end....you are correct. Need.. more.. power.. Scottie!!

I know the feeling well, I'm also infected with the "doing it for the challenge even though there are far simpler, cheaper, easier ways of doing it" disease. LOL

I once spent hours upon hours building a boring bar for my lathe, complete with hand filing square holes through both ends to hold cutting bits even though I could have ordered one for less than $20  8) .
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Naniaforzen

If presented with the opportunity to ask you again.