New MTR 5b and MTR by LNR Precision.

Started by gil, December 06, 2014, 11:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Great news from Steve Weber!

Steve is working on a new MTR, a five band version, 15, 17, 20, 30 and 40m, with built-in end-fed tuner, but no case this time. It will be a few months before a batch of kits if offered for sale, so make sure you are subscribed to the yahoo AT_Sprint group.

Also in the news is the announcement that LNR Precision will be selling the MTR V2 three bander for about $250, already built. No mention of it on their site yet. I am not holding my breath because LNR Precision has had trouble with their transceiver production before (long delays). I could use a 20/40/80m version ;D as 30m is mostly DX, few ragchews. The five-bander is very tempting as well with the built-in tuner. I hope the LNR three-bander has a battery holder for eight AA cells...

Gil.

KK0G

Damn it! Now I'm gonna have to break out the credit card.......... again. 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Mmmm, 17 & 15 would be nice.  Plus I could put the battery and touch-keyer in the case.  My ideal only has 2 connectors:  headphones and antenna.

RadioRay

I have a a small water-tight case, with a water proof speaker in the lid, all ready to go!

>RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

I'll probably get both!

For the MTR5b, I would look into a Hammond cast aluminum case with enough space for eight AA batteries or a small LIPO, though I've had bad luck with LIPOs. Maybe the ones I got were a bad brand.. Like Ray I would want to make the case waterproof. AA cells would be better and alkalines can be used when they are not available, though only seven should be used with a dummy shorted cell in the holder.

Gil.

madball13

LNR Just released a run of 100 last night. I bit the bullet and picked up a 3 bander 20/30/40.

I still don't know morse but i'm going to use this to motivate me.

gil

Awesome! It is a great radio. Now you have a motivation to learn code. I did the same with my K1 three years ago, bought and built it before I had a license or knew Morse code, then I had no choice but to learn!

Gil.

madball13

My MTR shipped today!

They had some delays but it didn't matter since i haven't grasped morse yet. This will be nice to take on the road with me to practice and listen to other hams on CW.

cockpitbob

Matt, in recent months some improvements for MTR_V2 have been published on the Yahoo group.  A few component changes make a significant improvement in Rx sensitivity.  Plus the firmware has had some features added.  Any idea what your MTR will contain? 

I just ordered the caps and inductors for the sensitivity improvment.  Since the parts cost about a dime each I ordered several spares.  If you (or anyone else here) want some I can send you a kit.  It's all through-hole parts, so the hardest part would be getting the board out of the box.

madball13

Quote from: cockpitbob on April 14, 2015, 11:07:39 AM
Matt, in recent months some improvements for MTR_V2 have been published on the Yahoo group.  A few component changes make a significant improvement in Rx sensitivity.  Plus the firmware has had some features added.  Any idea what your MTR will contain? 

I just ordered the caps and inductors for the sensitivity improvment.  Since the parts cost about a dime each I ordered several spares.  If you (or anyone else here) want some I can send you a kit.  It's all through-hole parts, so the hardest part would be getting the board out of the box.

Thanks for the offer Bob it's much appreciated.

I believe it will have the latest mods and firmware. LNR posted an updated stating that they added a diode to the design last minute and updated all the radios before they went out.

madball13

Got my MTR last Thursday delivered to work and havent been able to open it until today. I am blown away by how small this thing is. It is truly amazing.

cockpitbob

Quote from: madball13 on April 21, 2015, 08:44:31 AM
Got my MTR last Thursday delivered to work and havent been able to open it until today. I am blown away by how small this thing is. It is truly amazing.
I just read on the MTR Yahoo group that the MTRs from LNR Precision do have all the newest and best.  I jut got all the parts to do the Rx sensitivity mod but don't see any spare time for a couple weeks :-(

madball13

Quote from: cockpitbob on April 21, 2015, 08:49:43 AM
Quote from: madball13 on April 21, 2015, 08:44:31 AM
I just read on the MTR Yahoo group that the MTRs from LNR Precision do have all the newest and best.  I jut got all the parts to do the Rx sensitivity mod but don't see any spare time for a couple weeks :-(

That's too bad. Least you be on the air with yours before i'm on the air in an actual QSO with mine.

cockpitbob

Naw.  It's all good.  I had fun building it.  I've been using it for months.  And now I get to make it even better. 

My dad grew up in rural areas of Oregon and Montanna during the Great Depression.  I got his disease of liking to get something broken and fixing it almost more that getting a brand new one.