Saturday night

Started by NWARadio, April 12, 2014, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwflyer

BTW. I was thinking SSB but if you prefer I can do CW as well. Just not as well. If SSB 7.250 sounds clear here.

gil

Ok, call CQ on 7250 while I look for a microphone...  ;)

Gil.

vwflyer

No contact. Noise floor is S5 for me on 40 meters. If it's just you and I Gil I'd be willing to try CW. Just don't run away from me. I'm still pounding out 13WPM on a straight key.

gil

Ok, let's try on 7036.
Gil.

gil

I think I heard you, barely, yep, confirmed!
Gil.

gil

Too weak for copy, but it's you.

"copy ... little... my...ch ..."

Got the "Ok Gil, 73..."

Gil.

vwflyer

Hey, At least I could hear you and copy almost 50% of what was sent. I didn't hear even a peep on SSB.

gil

Yep, that's CW for you  ;)

We'll try some other time... At least it worked. We could communicate, albeit very slowly, but possible!

Gil.

gil

I was running 12W with my KX3 into PAR End-Fed.

Gil.

vwflyer

I'm running 100W but my dipole is 27ft at center and slopes down to about 12ft at the ends. It's definitely NVIS but I can still make DX contacts with it when conditions are right. I don't know how much you copied of mine but I was probably hearing you about as well as you were hearing me, and you with just over a tenth of the power I was running.

gil

Yep, not much difference between 12W and 100W in CW. I copied about 20% at the beginning, then it went up to 50% at the end. The propagation isn't very good tonight, but there was a path. Did you get my call sign? (Don't post it here...)

Gil.

vwflyer

I got the prefix and number but not the suffix.
I had the same experience copying you. You started to get stronger for a bit and I thought we'd have ourselves a QSO but then you dropped off again.

vwflyer

I meant to say prefix and number (not letter) so I went back and changed it.
It turns out I did get your full call sign. I wasn't sure I had but I QRZed (a new verb like googled) what I thought I may have heard and up you popped. Guess that makes it official, but I don't do QSL so I guess it doesn't matter.