YouKits HB-1B 80/40/30/20

Started by K7JLJ, February 08, 2016, 11:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K7JLJ

I recently bought one off of eBay and it's  a great little unit, but I notice that the main freq knob seems to miss when dialing.

It misses when slow or fast dialing by one or two "notches" in random order around the dial.

Does anyone know if this is normal (cheap encoder) or is mine worn out?

It's not enough to make it hard to use, I'm just curious.

- Jim
-Jim

cockpitbob

I have an old R4020 2-band version.  It probably uses the same encoder.  Mine can be a little touchy, especially if I push sideways on the shaft at all.  I'll look tonight and see if I can't figure out a good replacement available from Mouser or DigiKey.

Other than that, how do you like the rig?  I love mine, especially with all the info available on the LCD screen.

cockpitbob

Hi Jim,
No luck.  I can't see the encoder without removing the board, and that's not a quick job and it requires unsoldering the BNC.

I did find someone's 11 month old post on reddit about changing the encoder.  I sent an email to his callsign@arrl.org.  Maybe I'll get a reply.

Also, if you remove the board, I'm pretty sure I can identify a suitable encoder just by the size, arrangement of pins and any markings it may have.

-Bob

K7JLJ

Bob,
Appreciate the effort.

I got this response off a Google + board....

"I seem to recall another ham (KI4NQX) who had the early TenTec variety of a YouKits  radio who told me there was some poorly written code that would occasionally make the processor too busy to see the encoder send the VFO change.  He re-wrote quite a bit of the software to make it more responsive but I don't know if he submitted it back to the community.  If the current YouKits still have the poorly written code then that would be a place to start."

Either way, it's not a real issue as I only notice it if  I'm looking for it.

I really like the rig.

Today was the first time I got to try it out with my Chameleon Hybrid-Min w/MilWHip and ZM-2 tuner.

Unfortunately, the ZM can't tune this radio to it.  My MFJ-941E had no issues, and the ZM will tune my FT-817 to the Hybrid perfectly.

I'm likely going to sell it and stick with the 817 after all.

The HB-1B has a better receiver and the IF variable is awesome compared to the 817 and 500hz filter.

I'm really torn on the idea and am going to wait a while first.

I installed a touch keyer through the Pelican 1170 case I have for it and its accompanying parts and it makes for a great package so I just don't know.

I love that touchkeyer though!

- Jim
-Jim

cockpitbob

Hi Jim,

Glad it's not too much of a problem.  I got a quick reply from that ham with a bad encoder.  He bought one off eBay but it wasn't an equivalent replacement and didn't work, so he's stuck.  He hasn't found a good replacement.

Even though I have a 3-band MTR, a KX1 and the 2 band Youkits, I'm tempted to sell my Youkits and get the new 5 band HB-1B.  I love the information available on the LCD screen, Rx is only 85mA and it's got 40/30/20/17/15.  None of my QRP rigs do bands shorter than 20m.  Then again, for about $200 more I can get a good used FT-817 and have a "does everything" rig.  Once again, I'm stuck in analysis paralysis  :o

I put a touch keyer on my MTR and also love it.  A key usually weighs a ton and is fragile.  For portable ops the touch keyer is perfect; nothing to break and adds less than 1oz.

K7JLJ

My goal was a portable rig that was easy on batteries and could receive SSB also.

I also wanted 80/40 for NVIS so I got the older model.

I didn't realize that it's not full breakin like the new models which was a selling point for me, but I'm use to partial.

There is no other all in one with all the info this one has.  I looked at the MTR but couldn't get past the single led setup. At least it gives you a freq when you ask, most in this size don't.

Did you fit a keyer into the MTR case?

- Jim
-Jim

cockpitbob

I put the keyer in the case.  It's in the upper right corner.

I copied KK0G's idea of using circuit board for the "keys".  They are attached with thick double-sticky tape to reduce capacitance to the case.  Black sharpie marker around the edges gives a finished look.  I'm not sure if I like this more than acorn nuts, but it works very nicely.

K7JLJ

-Jim

K7JLJ

OK, I can't get rid of either rig. I went to put the touchkeyer in the HB-1B and found I had broken the 5v regulator!

FT-817 = base unit
HB-1B = portable

- Jim
-Jim