$21 Full Function QRP tuner - Don't Buy

Started by cockpitbob, September 16, 2013, 12:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

QuoteThey have a SSB radio kit for $125(shipped) that gets good reviews.

Too bad the 20m version doesn't cover 14300...
Probably can be modified.

Which 40m frequencies from those offered would you guys choose?

Gil.

buckeye43210

Quote from: gil on September 27, 2013, 02:12:43 PM
QuoteThey have a SSB radio kit for $125(shipped) that gets good reviews.

Too bad the 20m version doesn't cover 14300...
Probably can be modified.

Which 40m frequencies from those offered would you guys choose?

Gil.

You might get a wider frequency swing per the QRV web site, but this may make the VXO less stable.

KK0G

That Ali Express has some cool kits for dirt cheap................ great, now I'm gonna have to order one. 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC3AOL

The super rock mite looks pretty good. It even has a serial port so you can use your computer to encode/decode CW.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

gil

I like the CRK-10A on paper. I wonder about filtering... I always enjoy music on my RM, along with code ::) Now if this gizmo filters better, I'll have to get one on 10106! Only two reviews on Eham: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11154

Gil.

KK0G

I like the concept of the Rock Mite type rigs; super tiny, compact and able to run off of minuscule amounts of current. What I don't like is the lack of a VFO to avoid QRM. But as the old saying goes: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteI like the concept of the Rock Mite type rigs; super tiny, compact and able to run off of minuscule amounts of current. What I don't like is the lack of a VFO to avoid QRM. But as the old saying goes: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

The Weber MTR fixed that problem for me. Same size as the RM, two full bands, DDS VFO, 400Hz filter and 5W output! Unfortunately they generally are not available. No idea when the next model will come out, if ever, or if there will be another run of the latest one. Less than 300 have been sold. The last one I saw on Ebay went for about $300 ($126 new, shipped!). If only Steve Weber would sell them on http://qrpkits.com, like some of his other creations..

The next release, I'm jumping on it! I don't care of I have to sell something on Ebay to get the money.. There is simply nothing anywhere that can do what it does in such a small size. I did read that the next model might, on top of all the rest, have three bands, DSP and touch keying!

Gil.

raybiker73

Quote from: KK0G on September 27, 2013, 03:16:21 PM
That Ali Express has some cool kits for dirt cheap................ great, now I'm gonna have to order one. 8)

I feel your pain. I gotta quit hanging out at this website. You jokers are putting me broke.  :D

cockpitbob

Quote from: KC3AOL on September 27, 2013, 04:22:51 PM
The super rock mite looks pretty good. It even has a serial port so you can use your computer to encode/decode CW.

Do you think you could also do PSK31, etc with it and a SignaLink?

KC3AOL

Quote from: gil on September 27, 2013, 05:21:04 PMThe next release, I'm jumping on it! I don't care of I have to sell something on Ebay to get the money.. There is simply nothing anywhere that can do what it does in such a small size. I did read that the next model might, on top of all the rest, have three bands, DSP and touch keying!

Gil.
I was planning to try to get two, but that's if they are dual band. I was going to go with 80/40 on one and 30/20 on the other. With three bands, I'll probably just get one for 80/40/20. And maybe I'll try to get a second as a backup ("two is one, one is none").

raybiker73

Quote from: cockpitbob on September 27, 2013, 07:39:51 PM
Quote from: KC3AOL on September 27, 2013, 04:22:51 PM

Do you think you could also do PSK31, etc with it and a SignaLink?

Would a little rig like that be able to handle the duty cycle? I think PSK31 is about 75% or so. If it did, that would be awesome.

cockpitbob

Quote from: raybiker73 on September 28, 2013, 12:33:10 AMWould a little rig like that be able to handle the duty cycle? I think PSK31 is about 75% or so. If it did, that would be awesome.
I would think it would be easy to add heatsinking to the output transistor if that was an issue.  But the case is heavy aluminum and looks like it could easly spread 4W away from the transistor (I'm assuming it's screwed to the case).

gil

QuoteWould a little rig like that be able to handle the duty cycle? I think PSK31 is about 75% or so. If it did, that would be awesome.

You could control the output power with the provided voltage..

Gil.

Lamewolf

Good price, but I just finished building a T-match tuner from parts I had on hand.  I had an enclosure that is almost the exact same size as my Yaesu FT-817 so it looks like it was made for the 817 and I even had room on the front panel to add a 3/8" x 24 thread antenna mount so I can put a telescopic whip on the tuner for manpack operation.  With a 6' whip it will tune 10 thru 40 meters and with an add on coil at the base of the whip it will also tune 60 & 80 meters !  Haven't made any contacts with it yet, but the weather is nice this evening, so I'll take it to the back yard and give it a try.

KK0G

Quote from: Lamewolf on October 07, 2013, 04:44:09 PM
Good price, but I just finished building a T-match tuner from parts I had on hand.  I had an enclosure that is almost the exact same size as my Yaesu FT-817 so it looks like it was made for the 817 and I even had room on the front panel to add a 3/8" x 24 thread antenna mount so I can put a telescopic whip on the tuner for manpack operation.  With a 6' whip it will tune 10 thru 40 meters and with an add on coil at the base of the whip it will also tune 60 & 80 meters !  Haven't made any contacts with it yet, but the weather is nice this evening, so I'll take it to the back yard and give it a try.

Sounds cool. Photos?

KK0G