Palomar Digicom 100 SSB transceiver

Started by caulktel, October 21, 2017, 06:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caulktel

A ham friend of mine wants to give me a Palomar Digicom 100 SSB CB radio. From what I can tell, this radio was very well made and designed. It's the closest thing to a Commercial, (Non Consumer), CB radio you can get. It's huge though and I'm just not sure if I want to get involved with 11 meters or not. I think I can even move the PLL to 10 meters as it is programmable, not sure about that though. Does anybody know anything about this radio? BTW, its pretty clean, and works, and has never had a golden screwdriver in it. We shall see.

Joel
N6ALT

Sparks

cockpitbob

caulktel, I have a flea market CB and mag mount antenna somewhere in the basement specifically because if/when the SHTF there's going to be a LOT of people on CB.  Sure, I could wide-band my FT-857 and do 11meters that way, but now I have 2 rigs that can do CB. 

There's one more beneficial thing about CB.  Spend a few hours listening.  You will feel so much better about yourself, your level of intelligence, education, vocabulary and the life choices you've made ::).  The last time I put it in the car and listened as I drove around, 11M was skipping like crazy so I was hearing stations from 100s of miles away, and most of them were foul mouthed low-lifes that I wouldn't want to even talk to :o

The convenient thing about CB is since it's only 4watts, I simply put a cigarette lighter plug on the radio.  I just set it on the passenger seat, plop the mag-mount on the roof and shut the cable I the door and I'm operating.

Steve 7931

Hi

I too, own a couple of small CB radios together with mag mount antennas, I used to keep them in my camper, for those rare occasions when others used them on rallies etc,
I can hand out one to a friend , so we can keep in touch, whilst on camping trips , very useful sometimes.
Just for the nostalgic reasons I shall hang on to them I'm sure

73 Steve

caulktel

Thanks Sparks, I saw that page and read it. There doesnt seem to be much info on it, but having the service manual is a bonus.

Bob, I totally agree with you about the foul mouthed idiots on the 11 meter band. I got my start in Ham radio over 30 years ago because I just couldn't figure out why we couldn't talk normally on the our CBs instead of using all that stupid Jargon like, (hey squirrelly you got your ears on?), kind of of stuff. At least over in the UK they talk somewhat normal on the air. Anyway, my interest in this radio is mostly for the technology and the collector aspect. If I never actually talk on it, that will be okay too. I do have a couple of 10 meter imports, (I know I'm bad), that will work on the 11 meter band if I decide I have to hear some slack jaws talking:-) Oh and no echo on any of them:-(

kb9lxh

Quote from: caulktel on October 21, 2017, 06:22:44 PM
A ham friend of mine wants to give me a Palomar Digicom 100 SSB CB radio. From what I can tell, this radio was very well made and designed. It's the closest thing to a Commercial, (Non Consumer), CB radio you can get. It's huge though and I'm just not sure if I want to get involved with 11 meters or not. I think I can even move the PLL to 10 meters as it is programmable, not sure about that though. Does anybody know anything about this radio? BTW, its pretty clean, and works, and has never had a golden screwdriver in it. We shall see.

Joel
N6ALT
Greetings,

I received this thread from an email and after reading the entirety of your post, I would like to offer my advice. I believe that anytime someone wants to give you something and if you trust the person is gifting as well as the reputation of the item in question, then by all means accept it. After all, if I was in your position, I would not hesitate for a minute. Yes you may not have enough knowledge about the transceiver in question but isn't that part of the fun of radio?

73, de KB9LXH/WQXS544

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

caulktel

Hi KB9LXH,

Well I took your advise, I will pick it up tomorrow. If it works, it will be fun to mess around with.

Joel
N6ALT

caulktel

Update:

I have the radio now, its missing all the case screws, but it's complete otherwise and doesn't appear to have been golden screwdriver-ed. I checked it all out and found the receiver to be very numb, (but it does work), and the transmitter only delivers about 1.2 watts, but it is on frequency so I may pick up the service manual for it and try to trouble shoot the receiver problem. The squelch doesn't work or the S meter, but I believe that is all part of the same problem. I'm trying to get excited about working on this boat anchor:-) Meanwhile I am going to put up my Antron 99, 10/11/12 meter antenna before the snow flies.

Joel
N6ALT

gil

kb9lxh

Quote from: caulktel on October 30, 2017, 05:51:21 PM
Update:

I have the radio now, its missing all the case screws, but it's complete otherwise and doesn't appear to have been golden screwdriver-ed. I checked it all out and found the receiver to be very numb, (but it does work), and the transmitter only delivers about 1.2 watts, but it is on frequency so I may pick up the service manual for it and try to trouble shoot the receiver problem. The squelch doesn't work or the S meter, but I believe that is all part of the same problem. I'm trying to get excited about working on this boat anchor:-) Meanwhile I am going to put up my Antron 99, 10/11/12 meter antenna before the snow flies.

Joel
N6ALT
Despite the initial problems you discovered, I hope you will have plenty of fun (and perhaps, patience) with your "free" winter project. 73, de Joe, KB9LXH

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

caulktel

Quote from: gil on October 31, 2017, 05:05:45 AM
Photos or it doesn't exist!  ;D

Gil.

Ha, haven't heard that one in years:-) Yesterday I ordered a Sams PhotoFact for it, so I guess I have to fix it now. The pics:

cockpitbob

Wow, Sam's is still around?!?!?!?!? ;D

caulktel

His photofacts are still around, but Sam is long gone:-)

Joel
N6ALT