So what is it?

Started by KC9TNH, October 18, 2012, 09:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

#2 came over after cleaning some stuff out of his apartment and brought this to me, only because he recognized what a PL-259 looks like.

The connector has a small set screw at the top, and a hole in the side, into which slides this rubber-coated piece of SS wire.  Pretty stiff stuff, but at precisely 16" long, it does flex. One can also see that, when the set screw is loosened and the wire removed, there is then nothing to hold the two pieces of the connector together - the wire is what keeps the top part with the plug from falling out the shell.

I'm not too fascinated with the piece of rubber-coated wire, although I'm curious. But the connector is kinda neat. A little thing picture wire & that connector & you've got a radiator. Some wire around the receiving connector, or off a gnd lug of a small tuner, and it's got something to push back against. Between that and a Rock Mite you could hold a pretty interesting little station in your hand. "what coax?"

Some type of rudimentary scannner antenna? Anyone ever seen this before?

gil

cockpitbob

If the center pin were shorted to the outer threads I would say it is a shorting cap, and the set screw and hole are to attach a tether so it doesn't get lost.  But I think I see a plastic insulator keeping the outer threads and center part insulated.  So, I'm going with it's just a generic wire to PL-259 connector.  A convenient way of connecting to any piece of wire (wire antenna?) .

Paul

It appears to be a 2 meter antenna because of the length of the 'wire'.  If you change that wire's length, it could be an antenna for just about any frequency.  There's a 'catch' to that though, it appears to be only 'half' of a typical antenna since there's no provision for adding a "ground"/counterpoise/whatever.  Maybe a very simplified 'rubber duck'?
- Paul

Mitch

I don't really know what it is, but I've seen similar coaxial connectors and they were "solderless" and "crimpless" fittings.

This may have been purpose made- just don't disregard the possibility that it might have been made so someone with a tool could make a reliable electrical connection over and over!

KC9TNH

Quote from: cockpitbob on October 18, 2012, 09:55:55 PMBut I think I see a plastic insulator keeping the outer threads and center part insulated.
Blurry photo, but good eye by you.

Thanks all for taking the time; thoughtful replies. I'll plug this into something & see what a meter tells. Not discounting Mitch's thought either.

Jim Boswell

Very similar to scanner antennas I have seen. A basic elbow to connect a wire 1/4 wavelength antenna to a receiver.

73'S  KA5SIW

KC9TNH

Jim, believe you're right. As it appears it seemed to do fine on the back of an old Bearcat I have. The actual adapter is now stashed with a collection of other somewhat different adapters in a bag, but workable enough in the "don't leave home without it" category. Some tiny picture wire at a 5 & Dime & a person could be in business - the adapter as Martha Stewart would say before she went to prison "is a good thing."

Thanks again for playin'.