Hello from North Carolina

Started by Sgt. Silverman, July 29, 2019, 06:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt. Silverman

I'm a former Army Airborne FO (Forward Observer) and after 20 years decided to get my ham license.  (I finally got my General 6 months ago)  I'm glad this forum exists as I'm still trying to understand everything.  :)

Greg

RadioRay

Welcome aboard.  There is a deep cache' of radio information here, and well worth the digging.  Good move on the general class ham license.  There is a lot of utility there, especially in hurricane country, as was proven last year and it's a great way to learn many new skills.

73 de Ray
..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Sgt. Silverman

Thank you Ray and I appreciate the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to delving into the wealth of knowledge out here!

As for being in hurricane country, I can definitely see where having a ham license is crucial during these types of events.  Hopefully we have a more quiet season this summer and fall as Florence was unforgiving to the Carolina's last year. 

Greg

RadioRay

Hi Greg,

Yes, Florence was originally set to hit us, before it veered southwest. We were in the mandatory evacuation zone along the southern Chesapeake Bay until that happened. Water storage along with rechargeable battery powered lights and radio (and at least one fan ;-) make a huge difference if there is a significant weather problem.

73 de Ray  ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Sgt. Silverman

Excellent and very sound advice Ray on the water, batteries and fan.  My wife and I learned the hard way during the 04' storms in FL as we lost power for a week with Jeanne (we were not as prepared as we thought we were) and now we keep a pallet of bottled water on hand in the garage and I purchased 2 Goal Zero generators with 40 Watt solar panels.

73 - Greg

bkmoore

Greg-

Welcome to the club. I was a Forward Air Controller in 2D Battalion / 3d Marines for several years. I think that's JTAC in Army lingo. I worked with the forward observers both in the field and in the FDC. Three words of advice: learn CW, learn CW, and lastly learn CW. In a field situation with small radios, batteries, field-expedient wire antennas, etc. CW is by far the most reliable means of communication.

Brian
KM6ZYC

Sgt. Silverman

BKMoore -

First, thank you very much for your service  :)  Second, I appreciate all the advice to learn CW, learn CW and of course... learn some more CW :D  I've been watching Gil and others videos on CW, and I can see where this is an important skill to learn.

73 - Greg

gil

Sgt. Silverman