Elecraft KX1

Started by KK0G, April 24, 2013, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Hi everybody.

I joined the forum about a year ago but haven't really visited here much other than in the last few weeks so I thought I'd introduce myself. My QRZ profile;  http://www.qrz.com/db/KK0G gives a quick rundown of my ham activities and a few photos.

As to the subject of my post; I just ordered an Elecraft KX1 on Monday, hopefully it shows up later this week, can't wait to get started building it. About a year ago I completed a Weber Dual Band from Hendricks QRP Kits and it's been a great little rig but I wanted something a little more trail friendly hence the KX1.

KK0G
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Joe

Welcome Chris. This is a great forum !!! We are like minded people, My background is pretty close to yours. The KX1 looks like a great kit, it is one that is on my list, but aways down the list.

73 Joe

gil

Welcome aboard Chris  :) You'll fit right in... As Joe says, we all have similar interests here. I practice and occasionally teach Systema martial art... Are you a pilot (given your QSL)? I am...  Good choice on the KX1. I hesitated a long time between the KX1 and the K1. The K1 won because of it's speaker, but the KX1 might have been a better choice because of the SWL. I might still build one some day. Not that I don't have enough radios  ::) but building is fun and relaxing to me. Though, I hurried too much building my K1, and that was somewhat stressful. Take your time!

Nice shooting position there on the range rifle-to-bone-to-ground  ;)

Gil.

madball13

Are you a Pincus disciple?

I respect the Glock!!

KK0G

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and yes it does appear we all have pretty similar interests.

To answer a few of the questions; No I'm not a pilot, I just really like aircraft and the Corsair is pretty damn sexy 8). Becoming a pilot is definitely on my bucket list.......... someday. Between guns, shooting, reloading, instructing, machine tools and amateur radio there's not much time or money left over for expensive flight lessons.

Yes I'm a disciple of the crazy bald guy known as Pincus. I'd starve to death if I had to rely on my instructing to make a living but I enjoy doing it and Combat Focus Shooting is an awesome program. If anyone is interested in more info check out my webpage http://www.efficientcombattraininginc.com/
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

madball13

Quote from: kk0g on April 24, 2013, 08:26:37 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and yes it does appear we all have pretty similar interests.

To answer a few of the questions; No I'm not a pilot, I just really like aircraft and the Corsair is pretty damn sexy 8). Becoming a pilot is definitely on my bucket list.......... someday. Between guns, shooting, reloading, instructing, machine tools and amateur radio there's not much time or money left over for expensive flight lessons.

Yes I'm a disciple of the crazy bald guy known as Pincus. I'd starve to death if I had to rely on my instructing to make a living but I enjoy doing it and Combat Focus Shooting is an awesome program. If anyone is interested in more info check out my webpage http://www.efficientcombattraininginc.com/

We have a few instructors up here in the NE that are CFS instructors and as far as they are concerned and act it is the only training anyone should be doing.

Glad to see you are both into radio and shooting.

KK0G

The KX1 arrived in the mail yesterday. I was able to complete stage one of assembly and it passed all tests. I finished about 1/2 of stage two before I started falling asleep at the bench. Should make some progress this evening and hopefully have it on the air by late Saturday or early Sunday if I don't get any interruptions.

KK0G

gil

KK0G

Well I completed the build at about 0100 last night, never ran into any problems, of course this isn't my first time building QRP, just follow the directions to a T and even an inexperienced builder should be able to build one.

Overall I'm very impressed, this is one sweet little QRP rig! So far I've just played around with all the menus options and different controls to familiarize myself with how it operates, it's pretty sophisticated compared to my Weber Dual Band rig, not that it's a bad radio either. As with practically all modern ham gear there's a bit of a learning curve to all the features especially since Elecraft stuffed so many features in such a small rig with minimal controls but just in the short time I've played with it I pretty well have the hand of it.

The very next thing I want is the KXPD1 plug-in paddle kit followed by the internal antenna tuner and finally the 80/30 meter module. Now I need to sell some more of my junk, err I mean prized possessions at the next hamfest to pay for them.

If anyone wants to hear it on the air let me know and we can set up a sked. 73

KK0G

gil

Tomorrow (late) morning on 20m, say, 11:00 on 14060?

Gil.

KK0G

Just to clarify; you mean 1700Z?

KK0G

gil

11:00 AM Eastern time. So, yes...

Gil.

KK0G

I just realized I don't know your callsign  :o

KK0G

gil

I'll call you  ;)

Gil.

KK0G

I tossed an end fed wire up into the tree in my front yard today, used my trusty SOTA tuner to feed it and the very first QSO with the KX1 was a W7 in Glendale, AZ........... 1130 miles, 559 both ways. Not too shabby for a little over 2 watts.

I really need to get the internal auto tuner and the paddle kit to eliminate a lot of the clutter, should make set up much quicker and easier.

I'm back in the house now and hooked up to my big dipole, I'll probably be on 40 meters this evening somewhere around 7.105 MHz if anyone wants to ragchew.

KK0G