New Member check in.

Started by EmptySpaces, April 25, 2013, 11:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmptySpaces

Hello all.
I was pointed to this forum by another member and after several weeks of in and out lurking decided it looked like a great group.
Additionally I noticed a familiar name belonging to a crusty ole former pirate that will go un-named but initials are RR.  ;D

My location is in North Louisiana and am retired military. I hold a General ticket and primarily use Winlink/Pactor 3 for emergency comms.
Recently I've been playing with SDR and the European TV dongle.   

Richard

gil

Welcome aboard Richard  :)

QuoteAdditionally I noticed a familiar name belonging to a crusty ole former pirate that will go un-named but initials are RR.

Hum, I think I may know who that is  ::)

Gil.

WA4STO

Quote from: EmptySpaces on April 25, 2013, 11:17:25 AMprimarily use Winlink/Pactor 3 for emergency comms.

Aha -- a kindred soul!  I also use Wl2k and Pactor (although in my case, it's Pactor 1) to effect radiogram and radio email transfers for prep comms.

Best 73

Luck Hurder, WA4STO

Quietguy

Good to see you here Richard.  It's nice to see a forum where QRP/CW and Pactor can co-exist peacefully.

Wally

Joe

Welcome to the forum. The first rounds on you.  :D

underhill

Hi there EmptySpaces

Nice to see you around again, used to be a bit more active on Winlink/Pactor, but circumstances made some changes.

Nice to hear another familiar voice again.

Allan

RadioRay

IT       IS      ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
Hey Richard.  Great to see you here!  Yup, that PACTOR III is amazing.  When I was using it on the sailboat or from the cabin in Idaho, it's worked miracles for moving e-mail over HF radio, often when I would not even detect tones under the noise.  Amazing tech.

Time for bed.  I've been twisting wires all day - - -

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

EmptySpaces

WOW!
Wally, Allan, Ray and myself all in one place again.

I think the earth just shuddered!

Richard

RadioRay

I wonder if it's STILL illegal for us to all be in the same State??? 

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

underhill

Yeah, I think so.  But hey we've always got HF ;)

Allan

EmptySpaces

It may now be OK but probably unwise.

There's probably a lynch mob or two still out there.

Fortunately it appears the devil's mode, digital, can be discussed in mixed company here without a rope getting thrown over a limb.

I'm going to reserve any mention of SDR until I'm sure it's safe. That's really pushing the envelope.

RadioRay

Don't tell anyone, but SOME PEOPLE around here do SDR , in one form or another. . .    8)   but I'm not going to tell any names ...  ::)

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

EmptySpaces

Mums the word!  :-X

BTW, dongle/upconverter in a box, nice YouTube video!

Geek

Welcome.  Many of us, including myself, are newbies to radio, so you can discuss anything you want about methods and it will bounce right of us.  :-)

underhill

I suspect I don't have enough horsepower right now in this little netbook to support a SDR, by the time I improve things on that end, you guys may have gotten the techniques worked out  8)

Allan