History of the Radio Intelligence Division, 1940-45

Started by KC9TNH, June 17, 2013, 12:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

For when the tsms have made you unplug, or if you're non-CW and the band is in the toilet...
Pretty interesting read for history buffs.  (I like one of the author's amateur calls:  W3DF.)

Link here:

http://users.isp.com/danflan/sterling/ridhist.pdf

Also, I found a pic of RadioRay as a young prodigy taking his pre-Army aptitude test.

gil

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on June 17, 2013, 12:56:27 PM
Excellent, thank you!
Gil.
Yeah, taking a bit better glance through it, I might have to print a hardcopy of this thing for the book-shelf.

Nice to be redefining the term "suitcase" radio though, eh?  ;D

gil

QuoteNice to be redefining the term "suitcase" radio though, eh?

I guess now we are at the "shirt pocket" level! I wonder how small CW rigs are going to get.. Of course the antenna requirements will never change, but with the advances in batteries and surface-mount components, we might see some amazing things in the future.. Also a bit plus is the automatic tuners we have now, like in Elecraft radios. I even tuned a 25' coax cable once by mistake, the antenna wasn't plugged in! Yet I got a useable SWR! A big plus when you can tune, say a gutter or a barb wire fence! Very stealthy too!

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on June 17, 2013, 12:46:24 PM
For when the tsms have made you unplug, or if you're non-CW and the band is in the toilet...
Pretty interesting read for history buffs.  (I like one of the author's amateur calls:  W3DF.)

Link here:

http://users.isp.com/danflan/sterling/ridhist.pdf
Also, I found a pic of RadioRay as a young prodigy taking his pre-Army aptitude test.

If that's Ray taking his pre-Army aptitude test...then WA4STO must be the one administering said test...

If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on June 17, 2013, 07:00:28 PM

If that's Ray taking his pre-Army aptitude test...then WA4STO must be the one administering said test...

Nah, I was Navy.  Four whole years and never even glimpsed a boat, cept for the time I was waterskiing around the aircraft carrier that was training pilots in Pensacola.

and as for radio intelligence, yah that picture had to be army.  We had lots of radios, but damned little intelligence.  What little we had, we gave to the North Koreans in '68 and then to the Walkers a decade or so later.

LH

White Tiger

The Walkers - read a couple of books about them - they gave so much away, for so little.
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.