Wrong size! What antenna can I build?

Started by gil, September 03, 2013, 06:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Ah, darn, I just received a dozen 1/4" aluminum rods, 60" long which I intended for making a few Slim Jim antennas for 2m. Wrong size! I should have ordered rods twice that long. It didn't cost me much mind you, but now, what kind of antenna could I build with all those rods? Suggestions?
12-el Yagi for 2m?

Gil.

cockpitbob

Either a 2M yagi for 2M SSB Dx or a 2M/70cm one for working satellites.  Clone the Arrow one-you'll also need a diplexer.  I've had a lot of fun working the birds with my Arrow hand held Yagi but most of the FM birds are dead now so it isn't as convenient. 

gil

Well, I sold my 2m SSB radio, so I'm down to FM. I was thinking of a Yagi centered on 146MHz for distant repeaters.. Since I am getting a 70cm handheld soon, I might also make one for that.. I just need to buy some boom material at the hardware store.. That's for later though, right now I can just tape the elements to my wood floor on the second floor, or to the wall for vertical polarization! Temporarily, to experiment.

Unrelated to those aluminum rods, I was also thinking of a 2m Moxon made of electrical wire, sandwitched between two slices of plywood. the length is only 30", so it would work, and as a bonus, not look like an antenna at all!

Gil.