The American Prepper Radio Network (Sunday Net)

Started by RadioRay, September 22, 2013, 08:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

First time I used the new feature of CW in SSB mode, from a recent firmware upgrade. Apparently it works..

Gil.

RadioRay

This was a CLASSIC example of the difference in power REQUIRED for the same path for SSB voice -v- CW.  12 Watts in this condition in voice produced no acknowledgement from the entire net.  One quick call in CW and the NCS and a few others heard you and I easily copied your call sent only once with no warning. So - WHY do I love CW for important communication???

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Makes all the difference if you're bleeding  :o

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: Archangel320420 on September 22, 2013, 09:44:07 PM
I am running puny SSB signal. Ruth 5/7 to 5/9 here, Jess in OK 40 over/PLUS// PLUS, RadioRay 5/7 to 5/9 some better than Ruth, Ray. Most sigs are 5/5 in QRN. I think Chris is a CW weenie. So Ha!  :)

You're damn right I am ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Geek

Quote from: gil on September 22, 2013, 09:56:40 PM
Ha! CW:1 SSB:0.  ;D
Gil.

You might want to consider that post disaster you need to communicate with someone who isn't a CW person, perhaps some relief person who winds up with a radio, or perhaps members of that net.  Ideally you would be able to communicate either way.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on September 22, 2013, 10:01:56 PM
First time I used the new feature of CW in SSB mode, from a recent firmware upgrade. Apparently it works..

Gil.
Your KX3?  I've seen the back & forth over that firmware upgrade as they ironed some things out RE CW in SSB mode. (mic is still in the box).  I'll have to look into trying that (backup config is saved, current production ver is ironclad).  I'll have to see if she can hear me some night.  Fine & congenial NCS; winter time I might light the tubes but the CW over SSB has me interested.

p.s.  Hat-tip Ray for the QSP functions last night for Chris & I. 40m was running wayyyyy long, so thanks to the good Chesapeake Listening Station for brokering the QSY.  Nice job; now go have yourself an ale or three.
(I thought Chris was running his full-tilt base, but he gave me a big 12 watts - holy S-meter batman.)
:)

Edit to add:  Gil, are you running 1.61 on your KX3?

gil

QuoteIdeally you would be able to communicate either way.

Absolutely, that is why I have a KX3..

QuoteGil, are you running 1.61 on your KX3?

Yes, and I was using it last night. The CW over SSB is what I was waiting for.. For a case just like last night, when SSB doesn't quite cut it or the band closes on you. Though, of course I rarely use SSB. I've only talked to Ray, the Maritime Net, and one other guy to test my $1.50 microphone ;) I've been a little more active locally on VHF, but voice isn't my cup of tea. The only thing I don't like about the latest firmwares are the TX blocked non-Ham frequencies. They have a program to unlock that though. I think all frequencies should be unblocked, even the CB ones, in case of a life-and-death emergency.

Gil.

Lamewolf

Quote from: RadioRay on September 22, 2013, 08:26:05 PM
Reminder: every Sunday there is a net held in SSB (apparently voice can be sent over radio - who knew?) Right now the freq is 'around' 7242LSB, depending upon interference.  It will move UP the band to find a clear spot.  Net control is Ruth, whose voice is easy to find on a band filled with grumpy old men.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  :-*  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

'SEE' you on the radio.  This is the one time per week I am in voice on the radio.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

What time UTC are the nets ?

RadioRay

The time is based on East Coast US time so that it's easiest for those on the north American continent to coordinate.  Here's how the schedule usually pans-out.

Every Sunday Night:

8:30pm people are beginning to chat in the TAPRN chatroom:  http://theoriginalpreppernetworks.com/APRN/APRN_blog/?page_id=516

8:45pm "Pre-Net" there is usually a frequency found near 7242 LSB +- a little incase that frequency is occupied. Tune until you hear 'Ruth' .  A woman's voice is rare on the ham bands, so this is easy.  The chatroom will have posted the final frequency, which is usually quite close to 7242 LSB.

9:00 pm  Net officially begins, then the topic of discussion begins on a round table discussion in the order in which stations checked-on to the net.

-...-

There is talk of moving the net to an 80m frequency as we get into winter propagation conditions.  The net for 80m would be the same east coast time, but on or near 3818.

-...-  "See" you on the radio!

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

raybiker73

I think I'll check this net out tonight, I've always wanted to but never gotten around to it. How many (active) check-ins do they usually get?

Lamewolf

Quote from: RadioRay on September 22, 2013, 08:26:05 PM
Reminder: every Sunday there is a net held in SSB (apparently voice can be sent over radio - who knew?) Right now the freq is 'around' 7242LSB, depending upon interference.  It will move UP the band to find a clear spot.  Net control is Ruth, whose voice is easy to find on a band filled with grumpy old men.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  :-*  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

'SEE' you on the radio.  This is the one time per week I am in voice on the radio.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

I monitored 7.073 and 7.242 for about 3 hours starting about 7pm yesterday (Sunday) and never heard the net on PSK or on SSB, have they quit running the net ?  I listened also on 3.818 with no luck, so what gives ?

RadioRay

----------
Every Sunday Night:

8:30pm people are beginning to chat in the TAPRN chatroom:  http://theoriginalpreppernetworks.com/APRN/APRN_blog/?page_id=516

8:45pm "Pre-Net" there is usually a frequency found near 7242 LSB +- a little incase that frequency is occupied. Tune until you hear 'Ruth'.  A woman's voice is rare on the ham bands, so this is easy.  The chatroom will have posted the final frequency, which is usually quite close to 7242 LSB.

9:00 pm  Net officially begins, then the topic of discussion begins on a round table discussion in the order in which stations checked-on to the net.
----------

Radio Preppers has no affiliation with TAPRN or their nets, so those other modes and frequencies you mentioned, I have no idea.  However, TAPRN did just what is says above, finding a clear spot on forty at 7251LSB - until the commercial broadcast station went on air on 7250.  RayBiker was LOUD here in Va, and net control out of Georgia was also widely heard.

>>> Because of winter propagation coming into force, this net will probably move their net to 80m next week, so 3818 and up if QRM.  The times are the same.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

madball13

has this net been happening? been trying to jump on for the last few weeks and haven't heard anything.

gil

RadioRay

This Prepper's Net is definitely operational every Sunday at 9pm eastern and was on tonight at about 3833. Remember, they have to search for a clear frequency, because sometimes 3818 has other operator's using it.  The general rule it 3818 and UP , tune for the woman's voice and/or preppers' talking.

>Ray