Bitcoin donations to: 1CE9UfWJcHBYkWPns7iqBqZgKhd5xfqEaM thanks!
Buy Bitcoins easily by clicking HERE!

Use coupon radiopreppers for 20% off on the above site.Become a Patron!

Author Topic: Got my 1st CW rig  (Read 1089 times)

solaris0121

• SMeter: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Got my 1st CW rig
« on: May 22, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
Nabbed an eBay bargain I think - £207 for a mint mountain topper mtr4b, a new palm paddle, SOTABeams mountain tuner, qrp guys tuner kit, mini speaker, 20m SOTABeams efhw 20m antenna and a 7m SOTABEAMS pole..... phew... and after all that, he threw in a wonder wand tuner and telescopic antenna.  Chuffed to bits.... the guy lost interest and wanted rid of it all.

The radio is a lot smaller than it looks in the photos and easy to use..... Iím still learning the code so more of a push now to get on and have a 1st qso.

vwflyer

• SMeter: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Got my 1st CW rig
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
That sounds like an awesome nab. If youíre like me, youíll be nervous as hell on that first CW QSO but the rush will be well worth it.

Andywragg

• SMeter: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:55:35 AM »
That's a real bargain, well done.
Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW

gil

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +77/-3
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 05:27:39 AM »
Lucky I didn't see it before you!
Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

RadioRay

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +44/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:15:44 PM »
I am OFFICIALLY jealous!  Really though, that is a superb bargain and the MTR of any variety is a superb CW rig, especially with your extras in the bargain. Once 'bitten' by the simnple and robust effectiveness of CW, you'll be hooked. This is a station that you can EASILY take with you on outings.

>RadioRay  ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

solaris0121

• SMeter: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:52:08 AM »
We got to test it in anger last night at radio club, they helped me set up the 20m end fed and one of the experienced CW operators guided me through it.   Then one of the other guys set up a HF rig inside and confirmed they were receiving a good signal - so at least I know it transmits.

I called cq for a while but no response yet ...... will try the large Multiband end fed at the house today.

Radio Preppers

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:52:08 AM »