Do you REALLY need that ham license?

Started by Jonas Parker, September 08, 2012, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty

I always sound like an asshole when I read my own posts.

Quote from: RadioRay on September 12, 2012, 10:08:33 AM
If I were a government snoop-agency with such a plan, I'd write software to scan the internet chatter for phrases such as " government list" and log who said it and start collating any remotely associated data... 

You're right about the surveillance Ray, no matter what you do or how little you do it. 

Quote from: RadioRay on September 12, 2012, 10:08:33 AM
>>>>This would make a great discussion around a campfire with lots of rum!   :P

I've got a couple Mason jars of something better, but with you there.

It's probably gil ratting us all out anyway.  Think about it.  Lowercase "g", obvious alias.  Posts at all hours of the day/night, there's probably 5-6 "gils"" monitoring the forum 24x7.  Hell, found this place from a link off JW,R's place - and everybody knows he's a government poser.  Have a good one.

gil

QuoteIt's probably gil ratting us all out anyway.  Think about it.  Lowercase "g", obvious alias.  Posts at all hours of the day/night, there's probably 5-6 "gils"" monitoring the forum 24x7.

;D    LOL!

I wish I could sleep better, I wouldn't be posting round the clock!  ::)
My photo is right here for face-recognition softwares to prove I am real.. Hehe.
Anyway, let's not get into a "them watching us debate."

Gil.

Sunflower

Quote from: Chasrobin on September 11, 2012, 10:47:23 AM
Quote from: openhisword on September 08, 2012, 09:31:06 PM
1+

Jonas I couldn't agree with you more.  The only thing I can add is, when you're a new Ham, experienced operators are very excited for you and extremely willing to help with the learning curve.

Not me!
I have already built a solar powered water system, with wind backup, and a geny on the side if that all fails I have a bicycle crank.
rigged into my house plumbing so it keeps it pressurized, supplied from a deep well with 550g storage.
Produces over 2000g a day and has enough extra power to run an AC unit or heater, a hot plate, LED lighting, and my radio gear.
You obviously can't live like you do with utility power but we will survive.

Wow. I am trying to talk my husband into getting solar power backup for our pump house in the pasture. We live up hill from the pump so water pressure is already very light, but I can take a shower if the cattle don't get it all first (neighbors cattle).

Regarding utilities, do many hams use solar as backup power, or do most HAMS on this site have a backup power source? Ice storms can take us off grid for 6 weeks at a time.

Is lightening a problem for HAM operations/hobby?

gil

Hello,

Many Hams do have solar power as a backup, especially the QRP (low power operation) crowd. Some even use solar as their main power source. I don't know how much current a well pump draws, but you would probably need a fairly large panel and a battery to store the energy.

Lightning is a problem.. A good ground installation is necessary. The simplest protection is to unplug your radio when not in use. Have a spare antenna or extra wire, because that won't survive a strike.

Gil.

Jonas Parker

My backup is battery and a gasoline generator, no solar. Lightening? If you're on the air and have a large outside antenna, shut down your station and unplug the antenna during thunderstorms.

RadioRay

In forty years of hammming and MORE in shortwave radio, I have not yet taken a direct hit from lightning.  I did however, have nearby strikes cause damage to my mobile radio, likely because of the 16 foot military whip antenna...

As a precaution, I only have the antenna plugged in to the radio when I am operating.  There is no need to have it IN when not operating, so why take the chance of damage froma bolt out of the blue?  So far, no loss of a house hold radio.  The direct strike is not the most likely cause of damage.  Being in the area near a strike causes a 'surge' which a long antenna can pick-up and bring down ito your radio, damaging components.  You won't know it, until you try to use the radio. 

>RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Hello,

Adding a 100K resistor between the center of the coax and shield at the transmitter can help with static discharges during a storm. That said, I'd rather unplug the radio...

Gil.

Sunflower

Quote from: gil on September 11, 2012, 11:56:06 AM
TAPRN is a great resource. Thanks for the link. I didn't know about it. I like their <A HREF=\"http://www.catastrophenetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Standardized-Amateur-Radio-Prepper-Communications-Plan-10-2011.pdf\" target=_blank>Standardized Amateur Radio Prepper Communications Plan</A>, especially the 7,242kHz frequency suggestion. We might piggyback on that one.

Gil.
From this website, I came across this one: http://stores.tutorturtlepress.com/-strse-Survival-Communications/Categories.bok.

I now have a book for survival communications for Kansas. I was amazed to note the 11,400 FCC registered members all from Kansas. My husband gave me the OK to buy the book. I am looking forward to identifying others in my area that have an understanding of Amateur Radio.

I still do not have a receiver radio to listen to (shortwave). When I do get one, the book may make it easier to identify those near me. It is very possible that I am already acquainted a few HAM Operators and do not realize it.

gil

Talk about privacy!! I wish the FCC database wasn't public record!

Gil.

White Tiger

As a prepper who once thought about emergency radio in JUST the sort of way - under the radar and only after the SHTF. Later, as I did the mental calculations for what I thought would be needed, it became obvious that I would need a license...if for nothing else...to talk to people who had licenses!

I remember quite recently stating that I didn't want to be on any more databases - especially since I had only recently popped up on one in particular - kept by my local guns store owner...

...but gaining knowledge by having discussions with some very intelligent hams - at least one of those conversations with a long-time ham who probably views government more dubiously than even I do - and I'm probably less concerned about showing up on yet another government database.

This is a very real fear - because I don't know if many of you noticed - but the government has been overreaching a LOT lately...and the problem is...when they do stuff it has a tendency to be long-lasting (if not permanent), and the innocent folks are the one that end up having to pick up the pieces, and clear their names and spend their own fotunes doing this.

What has pushed me into this isn't that I plan on doing something out of the ordinary. It is rather that I will be targeted for doing something perfectly legal - like having a prayer meeting in my house in Arizona for friends, family and neighbors. That guy is still in jail.

...for peaceful assembly, pursuing a natural right, the legality of which is acknowledged by our own constitution.

But as Gil may (or may not) have realized he alluded to...maybe staying OFF the radar is NOT the way? Maybe the best way is to establish a show of force - by illustrating JUST how many citizens are GOING to staying in contact with one another.

...so just this one, last, database...but after this one...no more!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Sunflower

The book arrived with the list of license holders in my state. Of the few in my neighboring towns, most are already deceased - years ago. Others have moved away. So far only one lady to have hopes to get in contact with. She is a little older than me and recently retired -  young retired ( ::)

I am doing a little studying for the Technician license almost everyday, and just getting back to CW for a few in the evening.

If I get on a bad list for trying to learn something to help people then so be it. God is my Strength and support and I believe in him more than the darn ol government. Psalm 23 did not exactly call out Ham radio, but could have. 

White Tiger

Quote from: KC5OTL on September 08, 2012, 06:02:45 PM
As a challange...

Next Friday night, turn off your main circuit breaker, promptly at 6:00pm (1800 hours).

Don't use any tap water and see how well the toilet flushes.

And too, Power up your radio gear and make contact with other hams while you are on battery power.  Those flashlight battries aren't dead, are they?  Do you even know where there is a flashlight in your home?

Eat your meals witout the ais of your stove (electric or gas) and use some other means to heat what you eat.

Oh, and how wonderful you will feel taking that cold shower at six am in the morning!  Oh, wait a minite... you don't have any running water!!!

A tip:

It was either at Lowes or Home Depot, they had some of those solar walk-way LED lights for sale for about $1.50 each.  I bought a half dozen of them and they work wonderful as night lights.  You don't need a lot of light to get from your bedroom to your bathroom at 3:00 am in the morning.  I ended up returning and purchasing another dozento out up as a prepping item.

This is an excellent post! Any prepper will tell you that you have to practice what you prepp (for)!

We're planning our "SHTF weekend" we'll do just what you propose - shut off the breaker, prepare the foid we've stored, have little/contact contact out side our home - and generally stick to the plan we prepared...mostly we're doing this to see if the plan works, and to see if we need augment it, add supplies, etc.,

Sunflower

about the turning off the water part.....I have had more experience with all that than I care to admit. This is the main reason why I am prepping. Rural living provides ample opportunity to be without utilities.

Having a backup battery news radio is always nice - but a HAM set up would make our place feel like a palace when the phone and internet are down.

Frosty

Quote from: White Tiger on September 27, 2012, 11:05:11 PM
As a prepper who once thought about emergency radio in JUST the sort of way - under the radar and only after the SHTF. Later, as I did the mental calculations for what I thought would be needed, it became obvious that I would need a license...if for nothing else...to talk to people who had licenses!

Funny WT, I evaluated my requirements and came to a completely different conclusion.  My PTT buttons are usually dusty, and my interest is almost exclusively in the 200 or so square miles around my location.  If all is well there, then it isn't an emergency.  If it is a local emergency, then I don't see much need for two-way with distant stations. 

As for the license itself, all the information, plus the tests and the answers, are available free.  The only question after that is, "I wonder if the FCC cash my check?".  Look at the FCC violation reports, hard to find one where someone wasn't making a nuisance of themselves.  If you can't resist the urge to xmit frequently, get a license by all means.  If you just want to be prepped, get the knowledge, and borrow a callsign once in a while for testing purposes imo.   

Quote from: Sunflower on September 27, 2012, 11:25:41 PM
The book arrived with the list of license holders in my state. Of the few in my neighboring towns, most are already deceased - years ago. Others have moved away. So far only one lady to have hopes to get in contact with. She is a little older than me and recently retired -  young retired ( ::)

Hi Sunflower - For a list of FCC license holders, past or present, in your area you can use the "advanced license search" option here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

After selecting your parameters and hitting 'search', the next page will have a "query download" option for saving the list as a pipe delimited text file for importing into a spreadsheet if you wish.  Expect to receive lots of new junk mail after your callsign shows up, as companies use the database to help target potential new customers.  Your local ham group(s) will probably contact you to join, most monitor the license DB for new hams.  A local group near me often lists the new hams in the area during their weekly nets. 

White Tiger

Quote from: Frosty on September 28, 2012, 09:26:51 AM
If you just want to be prepped, get the knowledge, and borrow a callsign once in a while for testing purposes imo.

...btw Frosty...what'd you say your callsign was again?

[...only because you had to know it was coming... ;D]