10m radios

Started by Geek, July 18, 2013, 09:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

My 10m/CB just-in-case radio "go box" is in my car, in each of my cars actually, but it's not for mobile operation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

QuoteMy 10m/CB just-in-case radio "go box" is in my car, in each of my cars actually, but it's not for mobile operation...

I wouldn't go on a road trip without a CB! Great for warnings on road conditions and traffic!
That and a 2m mobile like the FT-2900R.
No HF mobile for me. I couldn't copy CW and drive at the same time!

Gil.

extra_class_ham

Get the Yaesu FT857D and it will get you 160, 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 2 and 70cm and has a detachable or remote separation kit. Then add your CB if you really want one.  NIce screwdriver antenna inside the bed, you will throw rocks at those "CB's"

Use the Panavise Flex Mount, best way to mount the radios I can think of.
http://panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1&id1=28&id2=34&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=34&--SECTIONSword=ww

I use the uniflex mounts.

IT Tech

I think that some people have the Generalities confused between amateur radio and CB radio.

Back in the day, it was not illegal to build a 10 meter mobile radio.  Radio Shack sold a perfectly good SSB 10 meter radio that was not easily modifiable to operate on 11 meters.

In my neighborhood, there were many people that were CB radio free banders before they were hams!
Those people were attracted to more channels and a quiet place to talk.
Some of the models used were the Sears Roadtalker or the Ranger 2950 / 2970....

The Roadtalkier had a specific chipset that allowed it to be easily modifiable.   

Some other manufacturers like Galaxy went to far as to design a 10 meter radio that could easily be modified by the owner or CB radio shop - cut one wire and it had both the channel display and the frequency display and could operate anywhere within it's design.  It offered more power and enough drive to run a simple class C - splatter all over the place - amplifier.

A unmolested Ranger 2950 was a decent 10 / 12 meter - 25 watt SSB transceiver.
When the Ranger was molested - to operate on all of the bands, no one ever took the time to align it to work properly on either band and they tended to drift in frequency or the RX and TX did not match on 10 meters.  This was the downfall of these transceivers.

If a person has an Amateur Radio License, it is not legal for them to use these radios on 11 meters because they exceed the maximum amount of transmit power, and any new amateur radio equipment manufactured after 1958 is not allowed to operate on 11 meters - which is the part that makes it illegal.

The problem that we have today is that there were so many of these illegal 10 meter transceivers manufactured  that the people that owns them does not understand the bandplan and we are getting interference on the 10 meter band - especially in the CW portion of the band.

Some of the Galaxy's were not designed to operate past 28.305 - which is where we are hearing them being operated illegally.  Most of what I hear is Spanish speaking - I would take it as Mexican or South America. - Is not regulated by the FCC..

Amateur Radios are in fact Type Accepted.
When ever you make more then 3 you have to submit it to the FCC and it has to be tested and pass before it gets it's type acceptance..
Two most recent examples that comes to mind is the Kenwood TS 590 and 990...

Both of these radios were available for sale elsewhere - except in the USA for the first 6 months of production, they could not be sold in the USA until they were approved for use by the FCC.

NCGunDude

freax, thanks for the discussion and the input. I haven't gotten into HF, yet. So I'm taking plenty of notes. My setup for around town is an HT and a mag mount. That's the nice thing about amateur radio. There's something for everyone and almost any budget.

My BO kit includes a go box using standard rack shelves for mounting equipment. I've got a decent tripod mounted dual band antenna, and an amp for increasing the PEP of the HT's.

For HF, I think I'll stick with a field kit, portable rig and probably a wire antenna. I don't know enough about HF to even talk about, but some day...

I'm pretty sure whatever I do with HF, it will include digital modes, so a laptop running Linux and a modem will be part of the setup. One of the things I'm looking into is SD radios, since that is essentially what a KX-3 is. Another interesting device are the USB dongles. I might get one just to start playing with it. Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to reading some more of your posts.

73's

gil

Hello,

For SSB, you need power, yes. I'd say 50W to get you anywhere. With CW, 5W is enough ;)
Much less works fine sometimes for any modes, but I meant for somewhat reliable communications.
I've tested 100mW on CW, and it worked fine, more than once!

Gil.