Broad band HF antenna on eBay

Started by EmptySpaces, May 15, 2013, 08:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmptySpaces

Ran across an interesting idea that I haven't seen before in HF antennas. Instead of wire this uses electric fence conductive tape often used around horses.  Wouldn't take much to make one of these.  It would also be easy to mark different lengths for bands using a sharpie pen on the tape.

Rather than post a link just run an eBay search for "HF. HAM ANTENNAS SUPER BROAD BAND STAINLESS STEEL"

The only down side I can see right off is wind acting on the flat braid over time.

Comments?

KK0G

I've often contemplated this very thing as I have a spool of electric fence tape, but since I also have plenty of wire I've never bothered with it. Yes I think wind could be a problem with the flat tape, they also make electric fence rope that's roughly the same diameter as bailing twine, that's probably where I'd start.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Several MIL antennas have done that over the years, doing wrap-back for various bands & labelled as such as a general guide. A member here posted of a trip with one such variation. Couple thoughts:

a. You'll have to do your own verifications as to points of resonance. And remember that wayyyyy out at the end of the wire on the low bands a little goes a long way, and is electrically a major change.  Also, remember that they probably measured their SWR either in a perfect test environment (or on a computer) and that proximity to other real-life stuff like ground, cars, tree limbs, etc., will have an effect on standing-wave.

b.  You can get a basic 1:1 choke balun to act as your centerpoint with eye-hooks & connections for not very much, and the wire for very little, and do exactly the same thing alot lighter & cheaper.

As much as I like the predictable nature of the plume from a dipole (and I keep a baby balun/feedpoint in my bag) for field scenarios of short duration an end-fed with a baby tuner can rock.  If you're gonna be in the same place like a fixed campsite for several days, darn right, I'd throw up a dipole oriented as best I needed. Otherwise, I'd throw up an end-fed and haul along the extra weight in terms of a number of things like lower-loss coax, or food or water.

Now if one lived in a HOA-constrained environment, maybe this would be a good idea for a 75m NVIS ragchew antenna - you could always tell them you were trying to keep their cats out.
;D