The degradation of Society and morals and kindness and the rise of Selfishness.

Started by freax, January 19, 2015, 04:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciphercomms

Distinguishing between radiological and nuclear seems like splitting hairs but if CBRN is now what NBC used to be, well, so be it.

We have close to everything in the cars already and respirators would probably join all the other stuff in the boot. Few of us are always home...but few of us are ever more than a few hundred feet from our vehicles. The last time I wasn't close to my car was months ago when we parked it at the airport.

Not so sure about 40mm NATO threads. Ex-military replacement cartridge market seems pretty sketchy. The vaguely decent-looking masks I found on EBay take 3M-type bayonet filters that are widely available, at least around here were there are more workplaces with hazardous material personal protective equipment requirements than there are corner bars.

Electric bicycle would be great for snagging milk and bread in good times, but not for covering any significant distances in bad times. It would take a couple of days of bright sun to recharge batteries with roll-up solar panels after first few miles on original charge. What I really want is a little dual-sport/street-scrambler motorcycle...but then what do I do with my wife and all the gear ? Getting her a motorcycle would seem to be a reasonable alternative...but with all of her other sterling qualities taking up space she is NOT a motorsports kind of a woman.

Budget isn't much of an issue...we are fairly comfortably set up to continue our modest life-style almost into perpetuity. Mostly there just isn't any time for (more) projects like stuffing fish oiled rags into rust holes, or replacing warped cylinder heads or rotted radiators. And there's a space-in-the-garage issue, too.

I am resigned to the fact that we are not completely prepared for everything that COULD happen...but I'm satisfied that we are substantially prepared for the things that are LIKELY to happen.