Let's talk medicine.

Started by piggybankcowboy, October 01, 2012, 07:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geek

As someone who isn't trained beyond basic first aid and CPR, I am curious about human anti-biotics.  There are quite a few of them and I don't know which is intended for what kind problem.  The few charts I have seen give a bunch of medical jargon for what each one is for and it is all quite unintelligible.  Is there something simple a lay person can use to know why a doctor would prescribe Amoxycillin vs. Tetracycline Vs. Peniciilin, etc.?

Frosty

The antibiotic refs I find most useful are the ones divided by the site of infection instead of by the type of bacteria.  There's one here: http://www.bpac.org.nz/resources/handbook/antibiotics/antibiotics_guide.asp  Might try searching on antibiotics with additional terms like "initial selection", "empiric", or "primary care" to find others.  If you're thinking of getting some to keep for emergencies, these sites (run by doctors) each have lists of the ones they recommend from the available OTC (ie, fish/bird) kinds:  http://www.doomandbloom.net/ and http://armageddonmedicine.net/

I've been storing (and sometimes using) the fish/bird antibiotics since the late 90's.  I'm certainly no expert, but I've done some reading on the subject and have made a couple decisions about their use post-SHTF that might not sit well with some doctors (but I really can't get any to comment on my decisions either, for obvious reasons).  So take this for what it's worth..

First, if there's any doubt, then treat as a bacterial infection.  Upper respiratory infections are usually viral for example, but in case it's not, and to help avoid a secondary bacterial infection from developing in any event, start antibiotics at the first symptoms. We can't risk complications in a SHTF situation, like not treating strep throat.

Second, because we won't know the exact bacteria or whether it might be resistant, use antibiotic combination therapy where appropriate.  Dental infections are an example, they can be caused by aerobic or anaerobic bacteria.  Choose the wrong antibiotic and it's not likely to have any effect on the bacteria causing the infection.  Untreated, dental infections can quickly become systemic, spreading throughout the body.  Systemic infections can't really be treated with oral antibiotics.  Amoxicillin and metronidazole together will cover just about every type of dental infection. 

cockpitbob

How about storing antibiotics in the freezer to extend shelf life?  I'm assuming that if properly sealed they should last forever at zero degrees F.  Would storing frozen do any harm to them?

Frosty

Would probably vary by type.  Most capsules/tablets just recommend "store in a cool, dry place".  Some add "keep from freezing".  The Army and FDA had (have?) a Shelf Life Extension Project where they tested drugs past their expiration date.  I believe cipro was found still good after 10 years, and doxycycline for 7. 

cockpitbob

A friend recently got Lyme disease and is on a 6 week course of antibiotics.  Being in New England this got me thinking.  If you let it go Lyme can f#@k you up for life in some terrible ways.  Even in a mild SHTF situation antibiotics can be unavailable.

Also, a year ago I got a bronchitis infection that I let get really bad before seeing the doc and getting pills.  It got so bad that I'm thinking if it were 200 years ago it probably would have killed me.

Frosty's post above about OTC fish/bird antibiotics jives with other things I've read.  Basically they're the same stuff, most with the same number mark on the pill, as the pharmacy ones.  Even if there's some risk, which I doubt, I can see many situations where I would take that risk, even with my kids.

Here's a site to give some idea of the price and what's available.  I think I'll be placing an order with them very soon.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/fishantibiotics.html

madball13

As a one time sufferer of Lyme i can tell you the antibiotics made a difference after one day. This is a great idea.

Joe

It works, me and my wife use it when it ever we start to get sick. I came down with bronchitis a few months back. It hit hard on a Friday afternoon of course after the Dr.'s office closed and I wasn't about to go to the ER and wait for who knows how long. I started taking them and went and saw the Doc on Monday. He told me if I hadn't started taking them I would have had pneumonia. I didn't tell him where I got them, and he didn't ask.

My mother in law is a pharmacy tech, I took a bottle to her and asked what the difference was. With a sarcastic tone she said the bottles come down the line one goes left for people and one right for animals. They came from the same manufacturer as the ones she has, same number, color, and size.