EMP protection, what to put your Faraday cage?

Started by gil, September 08, 2012, 02:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

Aside from a few handhelds and one or two HF radios, there are other electronic items that should be protected as well. One of them, seldom thought about, is a solar powered scientific calculator. I have a feeling that they would be priceless in a reconstruction effort.. I would also include a couple small solar charge controllers. And why not, cheap Casio watches for everyone in the family, with a bunch of spare batteries. What else would be vital to have?

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

Gil.

Frosty

Multimeters, solar panels, inverters, battery chargers, smoke/CO alarms, electronic scale, motion sensors, power supplies/AC adapters/12V DC adapters, laptop, and a generator - besides radios of course. 

Scott

Quote from: Frosty on September 08, 2012, 08:12:42 AM
Multimeters, solar panels, inverters, battery chargers, smoke/CO alarms, electronic scale, motion sensors, power supplies/AC adapters/12V DC adapters, laptop, and a generator - besides radios of course.
Well done.  Adapters, tools, measuring devices.  This guy gets it.

Applaud given.

KC5OTL

I have a decent Tektronix scope, several bench meters, signal generators, several Fluke Multimeters and other pieces of test equipment EMP protected.

I have EMP protected a good selection of microcontrollers and other descrete components including, various TTl, CMOS and amalog ICs and several hundres of various types of transistors, MOSFETS and diodes..

There are several development boards in the mix, as well - Atmel STK 500 and Arduino development boards for the Atmel AVR microcontroller EMP protected.

I have EMP protected a spare set of development tools, programmers, debuggers and the like for mocrocontroller work, including an older PC notebook and a Kindle with documentation with data sheets that were converted from PDF to Kindle format.

I have EMP protected an MP3 player loaded up with some of my favorate songe and Podcast programs, as well.

There is the spare short wave radio, about a doezen 2-meter handitalkies and a SWR meter that I have EMP protected.

I also have EMP protected an extra controller for my table-top CNC mill that I use to drill PCBs and small parts, along with several 300 Watt to 3,000 Watt 12 VDC to 120 VAC inverters.

If I survive to the other side of a SHTF scenario, I plan on being the guy who can start putting some things back together.

The only big drawback to EMP protecting all this stuff is that it is totally unusable while it's being protected, which makes all this stuff seem like a huge unecessary expense - until the event finally arrives, then, the equipment I have protected will be worth it's weight in Gold, and then some!

MIA

Not as much as I should. Two 80w panels, two 15w panels (and the associated charge controllers and spare blocking diodes for them), two inverters, a Fluke, and a Simpson 260 multimeter, two Kenwood TS-520s's, and a few odds and ends. I need to start thinking about adding other items, especially those that I currently use and have spare for.

Geek

A Kindle or eReader of your choice with a survival library.  Some folks would prefer paper books, but this would be much more portable.

cockpitbob

Geek

My apologies for reopening an old thread, but I think it makes more sense than opening a new one.

As I have mentioned here before, I have a natural gas generator tied into the house electrical system.  I have acquired a complete set of backup electronic parts, which I have not stored anti-static bags in two ammo cans lined with cardboard.  We discussed using ammo cans as Faraday cages in another thread.

http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,330.0.html

I have some copper tape to seal the lids on order.

The next step would be to place the ammo cans inside another container, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Thanks to all for the various ideas on Faraday cages.