Best or Weirdest Places You've Activated

Started by cockpitbob, December 10, 2013, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K8hid

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Quote from: K8hid on January 26, 2014, 09:16:55 PM
Baghdad Iraq as YI1HD

I don't know if I should say Awesome, or I'm So Sorry.  Either way, you've got stories to tell!

TexasRadio

Bagdad would be it, unless you just happen to be in North Korea, which I hope no one has to go there.

cockpitbob

I recently activated the 4th floor of the Residence Inn in Cranberry,PA.  I'm here on an emergency business trip.  I snaked my 20meter end fed half wave wire out the window and tied it off to the light fixture in the ceiling and hooked up my SOTA tuner.  Monday pm was the Adventure Radio Scociey's monthlhy 2hr Spartan Sprint (score is number of QSOs divided by rig's weight).  The bands sucked as did my fist (really tired) but I made a few QSOs.  Not an exotic or bizzare location, but I figure any /P contact beats 10 from the home QTH.

KK0G

Sounds like you're having fun there in exotic Cranberry. ;D Glad you were able to sneak that wire outside your room, every hotel room I've stayed in absolutely sucked to get RF into or out of with the antenna inside the room. It's as if they built the damn things inside of a Faraday cage! Unfortunately most of them also have the windows sealed shut.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Jim Boswell

Back in 2012 I was at Burning Man using my Icom 7200 to work some 20meter SSB. As I sat there calling CQCQ a pretty young lady rode by on a bicycle. She stopped and ask what I was doing. I explained about amateur radio and that I could talk to other hams all over the nation. Do you know how hard it is to explain amateur radio to a young lady when she is wearing only a pair of cutoff shorts?
     I can't wait, August 25 we will be out on the playa setting up camp. 73'S  KA5SIW