Say hello to a New General!!

Started by White Tiger, October 13, 2012, 12:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

I just got back from taking my exams for Technician, General - and because Gil set the bar so high - I also took the test for Extra class!

Proud to say I passed and was told I am awaiting my license as a new little General...or something to that effect (may e that's just what the Frau called me...?)!

A big shout out to WA4STO who started me on this path about 2 months ago, and Gil - thanks for setting the bar so high - I'll have another chance to take the Extra class exam next month...and I definitely plan to re-take it...

Just wanted to share my good news - I'm now off to set-up my fan dipole/antenna mast in the backyard!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

Excellent Tim! We'll be able to chat frequently then via VHF/repeaters and of course HF via NVIS  :) Ground waves should actually work in our case... Hopefully you'll have your call sign by Friday... If the VEs send out the paperwork today...

A lot of people stop at Technician, but General opens up a lot of spectrum! No reason not to go as far as you can..

Congratulations!

Gil.

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on October 13, 2012, 12:29:48 PM

Proud to say I passed and was told I am awaiting my license as a new little General...or something to that effect (may e that's just what the Frau called me...?)!

And a very hearty "Yay ON ya!", White Tiger.  That is SO cool. 

Now get that multi-zillion frequency antenna up in the air and continue "Tevin's Law" for all the world to hear (and see!)

73 de WA4STO

Jonas Parker

Well done, White Tiger... you just took the first steps on a loooong journey!  :D

StoneyHill

Congrats to White Tiger.  I passed my Extra this morning as well.

SH

White Tiger

Thanks guys - and Jonas Parker, to your point...The only other person seeking a license today was a gentleman in his 80's...he was extending his license, and had to re-test because he was in the hospital when his last coded General expired...he didn't study and had to test as a Tech. He must have been in the DX club the VEC's were all from - as they knew his name (Old Joe) and several kept apologizing to the old guy - apparently they didn't know he was in the hospital when his license expired.

...joe didn't seem bothered by it in the least said in the last 40 years he'd only not been a ham for the 4 weeks he was in the hospital and recovering at home...but admitted it might have been easier had he actually studied for the Tech license he'd just taken!

Absolutely will look forward to making contact with Luck via HF - and as for you Gil - I'm stoked at the opportunity to work you on NVIS!

Anyway, thanks guys! Out to get that bajillion frequency dipole in the air - my son just informed me that HE's on a time limit!

White Tiger

Quote from: StoneyHill on October 13, 2012, 01:22:30 PM

SH

Well then congratulations BACK AT YOU, Stoney!

RadioRay

Congratulations General!

Really awsome that you went there and did it!  You DO realize there there is no cure - right?  Once bitten by raido, always smitten by radio.

'See' you on the Radio!

de RadioRay ... _ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

White Tiger

Thanks Ray! I know - maybe that's why I've been humming: "I fell into a burnin' ring of fire..." All afternoon!

Jonas Parker

Quote from: StoneyHill on October 13, 2012, 01:22:30 PM

SH

Welcome to the club, Stoney! Well done! JP

White Tiger

Quote from: RadioRay on October 13, 2012, 05:38:07 PM
Congratulations General!

Really awsome that you went there and did it!  You DO realize there there is no cure - right?  Once bitten by raido, always smitten by radio.

'See' you on the Radio!

de RadioRay ... _ ._

...and I much prefer Nathan Bedford Forest to Joseph E Johnston!

...I mean - as long as we're limiting it to Generals of the CSA! He never lost a battle, even when he was outnumbered. he once divided his troops in the middle of a battle to which he was outnumbered two to one - and won. He escaped a siege at Fort Donelson...and he was self-educated.

(But the comparison stops after the Civil War...

gil

White Tiger

gil

Jefferson Davis. I was at his house on the photo...

Gil.

raybiker73

Quote from: White Tiger on October 16, 2012, 03:02:45 AM

...and I much prefer Nathan Bedford Forest to Joseph E Johnston!

...I mean - as long as we're limiting it to Generals of the CSA! He never lost a battle, even when he was outnumbered. he once divided his troops in the middle of a battle to which he was outnumbered two to one - and won. He escaped a siege at Fort Donelson...and he was self-educated.

(But the comparison stops after the Civil War...

I guess somebody has to step up to the plate and represent for those of us north of the Mason-Dixon, so I'd definitely congratulate the General.

But then, I guess I'm a bit partial. Here's me in 1864....err, I mean, 1994.   8)