Hello from Idaho!!

Started by ttabs, November 14, 2012, 12:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttabs

Fellas, I'm perhaps not your typical newbie. 

I've been a committed prepper for years now and have established my retreat in North Central Idaho far off the beaten path.  If you've read Patriots, I have to drive through Bovill every weekend getting to my cabin. 

Prepping has been an exhausting, expensive, and time consuming project but I treat it more like a hobby and relentlessly have stayed on task.  One important aspect I've known for some time is the importance of communications and I've finally worked down my 'list' to getting around to addressing it this past summer. 

As far as my Comms go, I have made a round-about approach to getting set up.  I started with taking my exam and not doing anything with it for 3 years except acquiring a few radios and things here and there (everything was kept in their original packaging).   Then, I stumbled into purchasing a 70 foot (telescoping) tower at my cabin.  Well, it took a whole truck load of concrete to anchor that thing down.  That job was done in July. THEN, around August I got the bright idea to set all this stuff up off grid.  So I installed a solar set-up to run everything off of 12V.  So now I'm only utilizing my Solar Sys to operate all my radios (and lights).  Fun stuff.   

Next, the ham radios I had purchased a few years ago now seemed to not be capable enough to maximize the true potential of the antenna(s}.  So, I picked up an IC-7000 with an antenna tuner, Uniden scanner, and a CB radio as well as two Grundig Shortwaves.  I'm currently running 5 antennas up there and I've got all these radios to ... (ahem) .... figure out. lol 

Without getting too lengthy here, I will say this.  I'm a bit overwhelmed with bells and whistles of my devices, but am slowly working through the systems (and manuals).  I'm at the 'shack' on weekends so my radio time is limited.  What I could use help on is connecting with other preppers and participating in various exercises and such to test my systems and see if this stuff really works.   I'd like to be a potential relay station of information for folks in my area and perhaps offer what ever assistance I can provide to others further away. 

A fellas' gota start somewhere. 

White Tiger

Quote from: ttabs on November 14, 2012, 12:30:55 AM
Fellas, I'm perhaps not your typical newbie. 

I've been a committed prepper for years now and have established my retreat in North Central Idaho far off the beaten path.  If you've read Patriots, I have to drive through Bovill every weekend getting to my cabin. 

Prepping has been an exhausting, expensive, and time consuming project but I treat it more like a hobby and relentlessly have stayed on task.  One important aspect I've known for some time is the importance of communications and I've finally worked down my 'list' to getting around to addressing it this past summer. 

As far as my Comms go, I have made a round-about approach to getting set up.  I started with taking my exam and not doing anything with it for 3 years except acquiring a few radios and things here and there (everything was kept in their original packaging).   Then, I stumbled into purchasing a 70 foot (telescoping) tower at my cabin.  Well, it took a whole truck load of concrete to anchor that thing down.  That job was done in July. THEN, around August I got the bright idea to set all this stuff up off grid.  So I installed a solar set-up to run everything off of 12V.  So now I'm only utilizing my Solar Sys to operate all my radios (and lights).  Fun stuff.   

Next, the ham radios I had purchased a few years ago now seemed to not be capable enough to maximize the true potential of the antenna(s}.  So, I picked up an IC-7000 with an antenna tuner, Uniden scanner, and a CB radio as well as two Grundig Shortwaves.  I'm currently running 5 antennas up there and I've got all these radios to ... (ahem) .... figure out. lol 

Without getting too lengthy here, I will say this.  I'm a bit overwhelmed with bells and whistles of my devices, but am slowly working through the systems (and manuals).  I'm at the 'shack' on weekends so my radio time is limited.  What I could use help on is connecting with other preppers and participating in various exercises and such to test my systems and see if this stuff really works.   I'd like to be a potential relay station of information for folks in my area and perhaps offer what ever assistance I can provide to others further away. 

Welcome ttab! I think - while many of us may envy your location - many more of us are in agreement with comms being an important part of prepping....and we seem to be at the same point!

I would say that if you have not pursued a license yet, from recent experience, I can tell you that you will learn a lot about radio in particular, as well as your specific rigs! I know at least one poster that has the IC-7000, who happens to enjoy helping new folks into the work of ham radio, and has a lot of experience with both - if youre interested, His call sign/username here is WA4STO.

I really am interested in your solar system operations - I am looking to set up a back-up location.

Again, WELCOME!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

cockpitbob

Quote from: ttabs on November 14, 2012, 12:30:55 AM

Welcome aboard tabbs.  You have one helluva start there.

ttabs

WT - I hope WA4STO wouldn't mind helping me out.  I have Q's on the IC-7000. 

I can help you out on the Solar thing.  Was not too hard to install - just a little spendy.  I'm currently running about 500w of panels feeding a bank of 6 ea - 6v 480 mah batteries wired up for a 12v pwr supply.    Perhaps if there's interest, I'll start another topic here and include pics of the set-up as well as where I purchased my supplies. 

WA4STO

Quote from: ttabs on November 14, 2012, 10:05:34 AM

More than happy to help.  I will say, in advance, that the levels of menus in the IC-7000 are very hard for me to wrap my head around.

I've had mine for five or six years now, I guess, and it has been my primary rig while RVing around the country as a consultant (retired now), and at home as well.

What kind of Qs do ya have?

Can't speak for the others, (or maybe I CAN, dunno) but I sure do envy your situation/location!

73 de  Luck, WA4STO

Jim Boswell

My solar system will use 2 6v golf cart batteries in series.  That is more cap. than 4 12v deep cycle batteries in parallel. The inverter is 1500watts. Since I don't go into my radio shack everyday I can use lower output solar panels. I plan to use about 300 watts of panels. Everything is already purchased except the batteries and I hope to put the system on line by the end of the year.
     The power company charges me $30.00 a month base charge as this is a stand alone building. Many months I don't use 2KWatts of energy. I built this system on a shoe string and plan to be money ahead after 2 years. By the way, I use propane for heat and in the Summertime, I am too busy to do radio work. The only shortfall, I can't power my HF amps with this system. I plan to sell the AC powered HF amps and buy a solid state amp. Will keep you posted. 73'S  KA5SIW

gil

Hello Ttabs,

Welcome aboard. I visited your state last year, and It was one of my favorites! I have read "Patriots" also  ;) I am even contemplating spending next summer there. Ray here suggested McCall...

On top of the IC-7000, you might want to get a radio with a very low current draw on receive... Maybe an MFJ-9440, or an Elecraft...

Gil.

Jim Boswell

Just from my experance, I don't care for all-in-one radios. I prefer a stand along hf or hf/6meter rig and then a 2meter/440 HT. That way I have a 2nd option if one radio is broken. Also since I may go months without using a radio, the menue thing is hard for me. I like the more simple to use rigs like the TenTec Corsair and older Icom HF rigs.
Take Care, 73'S  KA5SIW

gil

QuoteI prefer a stand along hf or hf/6meter rig and then a 2meter/440 HT.

Not to mention that this way you can listen to both at the same time!

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: ttabs on November 14, 2012, 10:05:34 AM

I can help you out on the Solar thing.  Was not too hard to install - just a little spendy.  I'm currently running about 500w of panels feeding a bank of 6 ea - 6v 480 mah batteries wired up for a 12v pwr supply.    Perhaps if there's interest, I'll start another topic here and include pics of the set-up as well as where I purchased my supplies.

There's interest! Show the pics!

Also - I have read Patriots, just got "Survivors"..

White Tiger

Quote from: Jim Boswell on November 14, 2012, 11:30:26 AM
Just from my experance, I don't care for all-in-one radios. I prefer a stand along hf or hf/6meter rig and then a 2meter/440 HT. That way I have a 2nd option if one radio is broken. Also since I may go months without using a radio, the menue thing is hard for me. I like the more simple to use rigs like the TenTec Corsair and older Icom HF rigs.
Take Care, 73'S  KA5SIW

I agree, I also have one Chinese 2m HT, and a 2m Icom IC-271A for local traffic.

My Ten Tec will cover the rest of my HF requirements.

ttabs

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. 

I'll start separate threads here to keep things on topic.  I'll take some pics of my solar setup and create a thread on it next week.  I've got some cool stuff I added to the system that will at least peak your interest. 

Can anyone tell me how to set my email notification for this forum?  I'd like to be on top of responses to my posts. 

Oh yea - anyone going to be on the airwaves on Sat night?  Is there a freq(s) I can monitor?  I'll try to be up from about 6 to 9 pm PST. 

gil

QuoteCan anyone tell me how to set my email notification for this forum?  I'd like to be on top of responses to my posts. 

Note the "Notify" button, top right corner of each thread/page...

Gil.

gil

Well, I'm the only one who can do that.. To anyone wanting to post a Youtube video, just post the link, notify me by private message and I'll add the code...

Gil.

ttabs

Oh Yea - for those of you who've read the novel 'Patriots' - here's a vid I made for JW Rawles ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2X1C2iOQDc