Building a radio 'Go Box'

Started by Mark Jackson, January 07, 2014, 07:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

I definitely lean heavily towards light weight (pun intended ;D ). In my opinion there's a very high possibility or even probability that in a survival situation that a person will end up on foot unless they're just unable due to health reasons. While I don't have years of extensive backpacking experience, I have done it enough times to know first hand how much weight a pack "gains" after a few days on the trail even though you packed it "light". This is why my entire QRP field station including everything from radio, batteries, antenna, ear buds, paddles........ the whole nine yards, weighs well under 2 pounds and fits into a small pocket of my pack. If I literally have to survive by carrying my every worldly possession on my back while on the move, radio is probably the last priority on my list well below food, water, shelter, defense, fire, clothing, etc,........... you know, stuff that actually keeps me alive right here, right now. If I was carrying ten pounds of radio gear it would be dumped in the nearest ditch probably about three days into the hike if not sooner.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RichardSinFWTX

I'll be the first to say it, "MMmmm...nice rack! "

LOL!!