New Elecraft AX1 Antenna.

Started by gil, October 20, 2017, 11:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello gang.

I received a PDf from Wayne about the new Elecraft AX1 antenna, a dual-band 17/20m telescopic antenna. The whip collapses to 6". A tuner is required. It seems this antenna is mainly for HT type operations but also works for tabletop operating. I would put it in competition with the MFJ-1820T.

The PDF file is attached... No precise release date or price available at this time... I hope to get one for testing...

Gil.

cockpitbob

Interesting.  MFJ and others have a lot of similar products, but they are all 1 band.  To me the most unique thing is that the telescoping part collapses from 3.5' down to just 6".  The 3/8"-24 mounting stud seems too beefy. 

I'm having a hard time envisioning making any 20meter contacts on an antenna 1.2meters tall, but then, the MFJ Hamsticks I use on my car work great and they are only about 2.25meters long and mounted 3/4meter below the roof.

Steve 7931

Hello

I have a Miracle Antenna, this unit consists of a collapsable whip of about 1.5 m , with a tuning dial,
It is supposed to match any thing from 3 to 30 mhz.
It can connect direct to the back of the. Ft 817 via the so 230 socket, which I think it was designed for.
All looks familiar to the Elecraft ax1

Steve

gil

Quote from: Steve 7931 on October 20, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
Hello

I have a Miracle Antenna, this unit consists of a collapsable whip of about 1.5 m , with a tuning dial,
It is supposed to match any thing from 3 to 30 mhz.
It can connect direct to the back of the. Ft 817 via the so 230 socket, which I think it was designed for.
All looks familiar to the Elecraft ax1

Steve
How does it perform Steve?
Bob, I think when antennas get that short every inch counts... We'll just have to see how it will perform... CW, probably fine, SSB, I have doubts...

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

RadioRay

But Gil -----

You could use it on your coffee table - like you did during one of our skeds ;-)
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Quote from: RadioRay on October 21, 2017, 12:00:19 AM
But Gil -----

You could use it on your coffee table - like you did during one of our skeds ;-)
Those were the days Ray!

Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Retops

I am very anxious to try out the new AX1.  A collapsible whip antenna coupled with my KX2 would be perfect for my travel radio and for fun trips outdoors like mountain-topping.  Closest thing I have found to it is the Super Antenna MP1 which works well for CW but is a not as portable as I would like.  Realize there is no getting around the laws of physics, but hope springs eternal.

New to this group and happy to be here.  I am active QRP on 40 and 20 mostly.  73

cockpitbob

Welcome aboard Retops!  Being a QRPer and CWer almost seems mandatory to be on this board.  It's not but glad to have another!

I'm watching this too. I'm a hardcore slingshot and EFHW antenna guy, but there are some treeless peaks north of me I want to activate.  A portable vertical would be perfect.

I too have a KX2, but mine is so new I haven't transmitted with it yet. 

Lamewolf

Quote from: cockpitbob on October 20, 2017, 01:50:50 PM
Interesting.  MFJ and others have a lot of similar products, but they are all 1 band.  To me the most unique thing is that the telescoping part collapses from 3.5' down to just 6".  The 3/8"-24 mounting stud seems too beefy. 

I'm having a hard time envisioning making any 20meter contacts on an antenna 1.2meters tall, but then, the MFJ Hamsticks I use on my car work great and they are only about 2.25meters long and mounted 3/4meter below the roof.

MFJ does offer one that is multiband with a moveable tap lead that works similar to the Outbacker mobile antenna.  The MFJ-1899T !