Baofeng UV-5R+

Started by gil, September 07, 2013, 04:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

I couldn't resist this time. These radios have become too cheap to ignore. So, I ordered myself the new Baofeng UV-5R+ and a programming cable. My FT-270R is 2m only, so I will be getting 70cm as well. Not to mention that the radio can be programmed with FRS, GMRS and MURS frequencies, though transmitting would be illegal on these bands. I would have much preferred a VX-7R, but that's $375, TEN times more money!

I am not sure what the differences are with the UV-5R, other than a new case...?

I will post my experiences with the radio, especially programming. I mostly use Linux and OSX but also have Windows 7, but booting it up is like walking through a plague infested village  :o

Gil.

Quietguy

Quote from: gil on September 07, 2013, 04:32:13 PM
I am not sure what the differences are with the UV-5R, other than a new case...?
I have a UV5R, not the +, and my understanding is the + is the same radio with a more stylish, rounded case with some extra trim.  The downside to that is the rounded case interferes with using the extended battery pack that is available for the UV5R.  I have heard, but can't confirm, that the case can be carefully trimmed so the battery fits.

Also, I used CHIRP to program mine, and it worked well.  CHIRP is free, open source, and is available for Mac and Linux as well as Winders.  That worked out rather well... the same programming cable works with my Kenwood TH-F6A and CHIRP works with a huge number of radios, including mobiles as well as HTs.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Wally

cockpitbob

You'll be embarassed at how you come to like it.  In some ways I like it better than my FT-60R, but please don't tell anyone I said that.

Quietus

Quote from: gil on September 07, 2013, 04:32:13 PM
Not to mention that the radio can be programmed with FRS, GMRS and MURS frequencies, though transmitting would be illegal on these bands.

Gil.

Was wondering why you would be concerned about such a thing, that radio's transmit power being too strong for some bands.

I would think of transmitting on those bands, with that power, as an easy no-brainer effort to harden the mind for bad times.  Part of the hardening, is to willfully commit a misdemeanor per day, and a felony per week.

That concept was put out several years ago on a more political site, Western Rifle Shooter's Association.  I do think that deliberate lawbreaking is a fine thing, if kept  somewhat in check to protect a person's ability to continue to run free and keep breaking laws.

For sure, any crimes committed during that heart-hardened way of life, must be directed at authority, not at people.  A couple of watts extra on transmit running a Chicom handheld radio,  is a harm to no one, and  running it on those prohibited bands helps you to be an outlaw in one of the smaller parts of life.  That's a very small start to outlaw status.  But as the wise man said, if you are not on some government watch list by this time in your life, you should be embarrased.

gil

QuoteA couple of watts extra on transmit running a Chicom handheld radio,  is a harm to no one, and  running it on those prohibited bands helps you to be an outlaw in one of the smaller parts of life.

Well, I understand your point of view. I will however avoid breaking those laws. Of course in a life-and-death emergency, you can use whatever frequency with all the power you have. So, I will program those frequencies into the radio for listening, and in case of dire emergency.

Gil.

KC3AOL

I actually went for the UV-B5 model as my first radio. It's truly an updated radio (instead of just a new skin on the old UV-5R) and seems to be pretty good (but I really am not experienced enough to know).

However, my next HT will be a Puxing PX-UV973. Sure, it's twice the price (which is still cheap), but it's a true dual receiver and has a cross-band repeater capability. It gets great reviews too. There's a guy on Radio Reference who is a self-described HT addict and says that the Puxing is better transceiver than his Yaesus and Icoms.

gil

Hello,

I received the UV-5R+ today and it is a beauty. Quite smaller than my Yaesu Ft-270R. Problem is, there is an issue with the microphone jack, which I heard does happen with these cheap radios. I can use the included earpiece and all works well, but when I remove it, the internal microphone doesn't get switched back on. Other than that, I really like it. I can listen to two different channels at a time, and on two different bands! Not bad for $50, including the programming cable. I got a good report on the local repeater, again, using the earpiece microphone. I could replace the jacks myself (http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=104634), but if I can get a replacement quickly, why bother..

Programming was super easy using Chirp: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home However getting Windows 7 to see the serial-to-USB cable was a problem. No luck on Mac and Linux either. I had to use different drivers than the Micro$oft ones to get it to work. I'll attach the file. The great thing with Chirp is that you can insert a list of frequencies like FRS, GMRS, MURS, Marine VHF, at the click of the mouse! Your radio memories are of course backed-up to file. Don't even bother trying to program one by hand. The time spent is not worth the $10 for the cable.

Scanning is slow as molasses compared to my Yaesu. Maybe that's why you only get 128 memories!

I'll attach a MUCH better manual here as well. (http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/pdf/uv-5r_v1.0-annotated_by_KC9HI.pdf)

I will probably get a backup one next month, just in case... Hell, I can get three for the price of one Yaesu.

Gil.

gil

So, I contacted the importer (nicheone on Ebay) about returning the radio. I didn't want to be without one while waiting for a replacement so I ordered a second one immediately! Yes, I really like it. I asked them if they would send me a replacement before I returned the first one. Seeing that I had ordered another one, they simply said that they would send me one directly from China, and don't bother sending the first one back! Works for me :D We'll see if they keep their word. So, I'll end up with three for $100, including a programming cable and one speaker/mic. Two will go in my faraday box, or I might give one away..

I did succeed in getting Chirp working on Linux by simply downloading the latest version and running it as root. I just open a terminal and type: sudo chirpw

The Yaesu has, no doubt, better quality parts. It can also be submerged! So, for any operating near water or in the rain, I take the Yaesu. It will probably last much longer than the Baofeng. That said, the little (it is quite smaller) Chinese HT looks pretty well built. It fits in a pocket easily where the Yaesu does not. The plastic used for the case looks like quality, not like some cheap FRS radio case. It does feel quite solid. The microphone jack issue is well known... Just make sure your importer has a good return policy. If the one you get works fine, most likely the case, you're home free for a while. The UV-5R also has a very good FM receiver, with priority to any incoming VHF/UHF signals. the radio just returns to your FM station when signals stop. The LED flashlight, who cares? Until you need it that is.. The siren, now, if anyone has ever needed it, I'd like to hear that story  ::)

My advise is, buy two! Get a programming cable. Keep one HT as a spare. I am not going to sell my FT-270R, because it's built like a tank, just for rainy days. I will however carry the UV-5R+ on a daily basis without too much worries. I think in this case you do get a bit more than what you pay for.

Ok, back to Morse code now! Ah, if only tiny CW QRP rigs came in the same rugged cases as those HTs, that would be awesome...

Gil.

Update: Got my second one, works great! What a deal...

medic photog

I just got one this past week and had the time today to try the computer programming for it.  Windows XP and the demonic disc that came with the cable are not friendly in the least.  I came in here, copied the link to the MIKLOR page and put my fat old fingers to work.  The more I programmed the easier it got, not that I want to do that much at one time again, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.  Now, let's see how much I like it and if I want to get a different hand held in a while.

gil

You should have tried Chirp.. I haven't even used the program the cable came with..

Gil.

Archangel320420

I sure can not get CHIRP to upload. I am playing around with it.  :(

gil

QuoteI sure can not get CHIRP to upload. I am playing around with it.

Might be a serial port issue.. Make sure you use the correct one, and assuming you use windows, it should show in "devices and printers."

Gil.

medic photog

Quote from: gil on September 19, 2013, 05:04:33 PM
You should have tried Chirp.. I haven't even used the program the cable came with..

Gil.

Chirp is loaded, the computer recognizes the cable, but the connection from the radio to the computer appears dead.  Chirp just sits there and won't load to the radio and the radio won't load to chirp. Guess it's a bogus cable issue.

NEW 09-21  After my medic shift I came home and sat down to trouble shoot the cable, driver, software and came up with reloading the driver and playing with the cable in the radio.  Now it works like a charm and everything is backed up.  I can see where using CHIRP in the first place would have been so much easier, but at least now I'm pretty good and comfortable at pressing those tiny buttons with my big old fat fingers.

raybiker73

Quote from: gil on September 07, 2013, 04:32:13 PMI would have much preferred a VX-7R, but that's $375, TEN times more money!

Gil.

For what it's worth, I own two HT's, a VX-7R and a UV-5R, and I use the little Baofeng just as much if not more than the Yaesu. I never did convince it to get along with a Mac, but it's a good little radio.