FBI Request for ham radio equipment - lots of it

Started by WA4STO, June 08, 2013, 08:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA4STO

For those of you whose paranoia has grown huge chunks of paranoia, here's a recent request from the FEEBEES for a ton of ham radio equipment.

Looks like J. Edgar's boys are goin' out on Field Day!! 

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=5cb80061cb2074d8748144d2d387f520&tab=core&_cview=0

73, Luck WA4STO

KC9TNH

Given the requirements list in the solicitation, someone pulled out the joint interop guidelines and decided that they get to buy a bunch of new toys to play with; support to civil authority & all dontcha know, paid for off the backs of furloughed rank & file workers, who've been told "we're broke."
8)

WA4STO

Or... maybe some GS-17 is about to retire.

I like (not) how "one" FBI wireless lab needs three Signalink USBs.

Or an IC-9100 for that matter.

Hey, I'm broke too...

Luck, WA4STO

KC9TNH

Yeah, well, all rules are off for anything that falls under the DoJ umbrella, an organization that is making the old Stasi look like a community charity. That would include emitting on amateur bands for other than amateur radio purposes. But then, they have guns & can tell the FCC to pound sand, as with the rest of the American segments they look down on.

As long as the congress-critters stay in place & tolerate the continued role encroachment, the electorate will get what it asked for.

KK0G

Wow, that's quite a list of ham equipment! Several high end rigs with what looks to be every option available. I'm trying to wrap my head around what possible law enforcement need is met by all that equipment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

WA4STO

Maybe the FeeBees are again worried about ANY data transmissions.

Just because NSA 'cant' snoop on domestics doesn't mean that the FeeBees can't. 

Maybe, when I put together 30 or 40 'welcome to ham radio' radiograms, I'll include a fair number of Achmeds as the first name.  That should get me on yet another of their lists.  Yippee!

73, Achmed, WA4STO

Frosty

Quote from: WA4STO on June 08, 2013, 08:24:17 AM
For those of you whose paranoia has grown huge chunks of paranoia...

NOW I know why my ears were ringing all day yesterday.  :)

KC9TNH

Quote from: Frosty on June 09, 2013, 07:36:50 AM
NOW I know why my ears were ringing all day yesterday.  :)
Ya know what they say: "Just because people say you're paranoid doesn't still mean there aren't people out to get ya."
8)

wa1gon

I am not sure what to make of it.  Not really a lot of equipment and doesn't seem like it is a good selection of equipment.

The government has much better equipment to monitor than these COTS rigs.  Even the FlexRadio 5000 can record and replay 192 khz of bandwidth.  I am sure the 6000 can do more and those are COTS as well.  This doesn't really concern me as much as x billions of round of ammo.

Geek

Given the amount of unused equipment TSA and EPA have, I suspect that the FBI decided they needed a warehouse full of unused equipment.

White Tiger

Given the behavior they know has worked to this point - creating a panic that forces natural market effects to achieve the same ends as legislation - I am wondering if they aren't trying to also drive up the cost of equipment (similar to the way they have managed to make food, guns & ammo hard to get and expensive when you can get them...)?

They have stocked various COG (Continuity of Government) locations within the US with long-term storage food - and due to a massive buy that both initially denied - The largest producer of freeze dried & dehydrated food; Oregon Freeze Dry, Inc. owners of Mountain House - was given such a large government contract that Mountain House put buyers on a 2 year waiting list...creating even more panicked buying from folks when they eventually could buy - from Mountain House and elsewhere...

Like the way the many departments of government have been buying billions of rounds of 9mm, .40 and .45 cal - then when congress demands to know what they plan to do with all of this - they decide to "give" much of this to various African militaries...

These are the same folks that sought to get into the gun-running business with Mexican Drug gangs - basically giving one gang some exclusive territory in the US to sell drugs unmolested in several US cities - we know it as fast & furious - the plan was to secretly smuggle the guns in, then allege that US Gun Shops were to blame...when that failed they seized opportunities presented them by mass shootings in gun restricted areas - to attempt a legislative confiscation/restriction - failing that - they simply caused panic buying of all "assault" style weapons...

It's no big stretch to see that they have followed the same path many of us have followed - lock-up food & security - but for different reasons...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.