Old Army Video

Started by KC3AOL, July 28, 2014, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC3AOL

Got this from the local ham club:
http://youtu.be/DQj74Y2H8xQ

Pretty nice video actually.  Any of you old folks watch the video while in the service? ;-)

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

KK0G

Not a bad video. Some of the mnemonics don't make much sense to me but I like that they emphasize rhythm and spacing.

I would recommend that if someone were going to use this video to help them learn code, to not actually watch the video, just listen to it. In the video they visually show dots and dashes that correspond to the letters they're sending, a big no-no in my book. Morse code is an aural language which uses a completely different part of the brain than vision, trying to learn it visually will only hamper your efforts to increase speed later on.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

During the basic Morse code portion on my training with the Army Security Agency, we never used anything visual.  All Morse training was audio and most of it was on a keyboard, some pencil work and etc. It was absolute, reflexive copy.  I was a ham before I enlisted, but they really put a good polish on it.

>RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Luigi

Juliet is my favorite. She helped me remember the letter J. Juliet reminds me of a HS girlfriend.
Luigi.