NOAA Weather Stations

Started by Mitch, November 13, 2013, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

Anyone know what mode the Wx station transmits on?

I tried wide FM, narrow FM, AM, USB, LSB, and DSB.

I'm trying to get it on the DV dongle on my Andriod phone (SDR Touch).

My other HT just has special key presses so I don't know what mode...

cockpitbob

NOAA broadcasts FM  on 162.400, 162.425,  162.450,  162.475,  162.500,  162.525, and 162.550MHz.

Is it possible you are in a hole and can't get any of them?

Go here and click on your state to see what towns the transmitters are located in.

Mitch

I pick up ch2 just fine even on a shortened antenna on my HT.

Those are the frequencies I've tried.

Mitch

Also, the dongle picks up 95.7MHz just fine, so it's not a low end specification issue.

Mitch

When I get home I may try plugging the Buddistick into the dongle. Maybe there wasn't enough microamps coming from the crummy antenna it came with?

RadioRay

NOAA weather radio is 'narrow' FM. 

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

raybiker73

Luckily, this is a problem I've never had. I live 9 miles away (as the crow flies) from a 1000-watt NOAA station. I can practically pick it up through the fillings in my teeth.  8)

Mitch

No matter which antenna I use the dongle won't pick it up so it's just an oddity with SDR Touch I suppose.

Quietguy

Did you set it to NFM and tune either side of the frequency?  Frequencies on my SDR dongle are off enough to miss NFM stations if dialed to the exact number.  The software I have allows for entering a correction factor to get it to display right.

Wally

Mitch

Scanned the entire area. Also learned the dongle doesn't actually change the frequency until you lift your finger.