Activity

Started by KK0G, February 24, 2014, 09:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

There hasn't been any activity on the forum for 4 days, apparently we need a new topic, so..................

What have you been doing on the air lately? Between all the snow we've been getting which creates overtime for me and my anniversary last weekend, I haven't been doing much at all. In fact Wes and I haven't had a sked in 4 or 5 days. Hopefully you all have had better luck.

Discuss, and..................GO!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

madball13

finally got time to install some coils another ham made for my 40/80 inverted v dipole. the cold and snow has kept me at bay though

cockpitbob

I wasted some time hunting countries by CW.  I had several 599/73 QSOs with DX countries.  I had to get the manual and figure out how to operate the radio split since 2 of them were operating "up". 

I was tuning around and heard a prefix I didn't recognize but after the QSO I found it was Cuba!  I had no idea the iron curtain had lifted that much, but there he was on qrz.com just like a ham from a free country.

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on February 24, 2014, 10:31:09 PM
I wasted some time hunting countries by CW.  I had several 599/73 QSOs with DX countries.  I had to get the manual and figure out how to operate the radio split since 2 of them were operating "up". 

I was tuning around and heard a prefix I didn't recognize but after the QSO I found it was Cuba!  I had no idea the iron curtain had lifted that much, but there he was on qrz.com just like a ham from a free country.

Cuba is pretty common DX. Not to diminish your accomplishment though, it's still a pretty cool contact.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RichardSinFWTX

Speaking of Cuba, if any of you guys are ARRL members and are working the Centennial QSO Challenge, there is going to be a W1AW station operating on Gitmo starting Wednesday thru March 4th.

If you're on Goggle+ there is a community there called RaDAR (RApid Deployment Amateur Radio) that is having it's monthly on air link-up this Saturday from 10:00 - 12:00 CST.

cockpitbob

Rich, thanks for the heads-up on Gitmo.  I need Morse practice but my family life makes me unreliable for skeds so I've started chasing DX and the W1AW portable ops.  Gitmo will be a nice one.

RichardSinFWTX

Yeah, I was cruising around Saturday on 15, 17 & 20m and caught W1AW/4 twice and /8 once purely by accident.  I wanna bag the Gitmo one just to say I got it.

RichardSinFWTX

Not to hijack the topic or anything; but do you guys have like a favorite freq. you hover around and wait for people to roll up or you cruise the bands?

I fall back to what I did in the Army.  I was in signal intel.  I would be given a frequency range to told to listen in and report on what was heard.  I'd start at one end of the band and just roll the dial to the other end.  When I'd hit a signal I'd stop and listen to it.  If it was something I needed to pay attention to I would.  If it was the East German police talking about some commissar going to see his mistress I'd move on. 

Just curious how you guys operate.

gil

Hello,

I am sometimes late mornings on 14060 and evenings in 7030, but not every day...

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

I'm normally only on the air on the weekends.  Got too much going on in the evenings.  I'm still exploring a lot too mostly in the 15 - 20m bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cockpitbob

When I'm hunting CW DX it seems that 10M & 15M are very popular during the day.  That's where I've had most of my DX QSOs.

Archangel320420

I am on 14.259 +- monday through fridays at 1530 Central time talking to some friends back in Pennsylvania. I listen to ALEX JONES (the wild man) on 12.160 Mhz daily.  :)

Otherwise I listen to 3843 SSB and sometimes 1.945 Mhz at night and 3913 to some locals (tri state area stations). I tend to monitor 7030 for QRP stations. I listen for Wes and Chris on 3534 CW in the evenings. I used to get in often on 1.903 Mhz with some Minnesota guys on the top band, but they got boring. Maybe it is just me that got boring  :)

I work Wes on 7179.5 LSSB often when he is Net Control for a daily net.

I hop all over the bands, RHI, but would be glad to setup something with you. Wes and Chris have been trying to get something going for months to QSO prep members.  I like 18 Mhz for getting away from contesters on weekends. 18 Mhz has been very nice and low noise. Easy to work nice sigs from all over da world. I have not fixed freq on 18 Mhz. I monitor local repeaters and 52 simplex and monitor a CB channel for local neighbors.

When not otherwise occupied, I am outside with the dogs howling at the moon or plowing snow.  :(

NN0AA

Joe

I checked the batteries, does that count.

With this drought we are in out here I've been busy planning the garden and getting with my neighbors on there gardens. We split up who grows what that way we all don't end up with tons of the same stuff. We trade back and forth. And can up some of the excess. Our well should be deep enough to get through this thing.

madball13

Quote from: Joe on February 25, 2014, 08:59:02 PM
I checked the batteries, does that count.

With this drought we are in out here I've been busy planning the garden and getting with my neighbors on there gardens. We split up who grows what that way we all don't end up with tons of the same stuff. We trade back and forth. And can up some of the excess. Our well should be deep enough to get through this thing.

great to hear. what a great practice

RadioRay

The Guantanamo station had to get off the air because they were caught using an illegal antenna.

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry