For The Prepper Ham With 'Everything'

Started by RadioRay, October 02, 2013, 10:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

For those who have a strong back and see filters and free tuning VFO's as being made for SISSIES, here is a radio for you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clansman-PRC320-30-Watt-HF-Transciever-package-with-Extras-US-SELLER-100-Working-/181228130394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3209d05a

As seen in the Falklands/Malvinas war, the Clansman manpack radio is ready for anything - except repair of the Plessy IC chips which were made ONLY for this series of radios.  The factory spares were stored in a warehouse - which burned down.  Yes - it will probably run forever. If however it does not - it is basically unrepairable - a risk that those who love 'green radios' are willing to take.

I've talked wtih Paul/W0RW in Morse from the top of Pike's Peaks in Colorado (over 14,000 peak) as he walked from wind break rock to windbreak rock using his PRC-319 Special Forces radio which looks very similar to this PRC-320 but dozen a few extra tricks. for portable field radios this is pretty low on the Watts per pound scale!  However, it suuuuuuure is cool!

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Definitely looks heavy, cool but heavy. I'll probably stick with my KX1 for now. 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G