Eagle One Portable Vertical HF Antenna

Started by pea, March 30, 2015, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STN

Hello Steve, Carl
I've just sent Steve an email.  I would be delighted to do a side-by-side comparison between the EZ Military & MPAS. In fact I'm really surprised we haven't done this sooner. Certainly both antenna systems have their pluses and minuses, but rather than commenting on another manufacturer's products, why not let the numbers paint the picture!?

My idea is to do a video series of a side-by-side comparison.

In the first video, I'll do a comparison of:
- Whats in the package
- Specifications
- Price
- Weight
- Ease of assembly
- Configuration options
- Available accessories

In the second video, I'll cycle incrementally through the bands in real time, using the following tools:
- WSPR
- PSK Reporter
- Reverse Beacon Network

Using the Yaesu FT-817ND & z817 tuner with an antenna switch between the two systems.
(Don't worry I will place them far enough apart to avoid coupling)
We will start each test at 5 watts, then 2.5 watts, 1 watts, 0.5 watt on each relevant band 160-6M. I'll also repeat this test several times, in a various configurations.

In the last video, we will take both antenna systems out to the field for some winter emcomm training. After that will go through the pluses and minuses of both systems, letting users come to their own conclusions based on the objective information that we give them.

Each portion of the test will be available on the Internet for comparison.

With all that said, I absolutely accept the opportunity to do the side by side comparison.
With kind regards

Julian
STN

Quote from: sjdeines on January 03, 2016, 12:37:24 PM
Hi -

KK4TTR Asked me to chime in on this. Steve (N0TES) here, from Alpha Antenna. The Chameleon MPAS (and all their other antennas) and Alpha Vertical (or EzMilitary) Gold editions (with tripod+mast) should perform almost identically and the only the only real difference being that Chameleon might cost more, likely comes with less accessories, and claims it does 160M. The Alpha Gold editions "will do" 160 meters as well as the Chameleon's systems, but because there are so much better 160 Meter solutions available, I thought it unfair to the consumer to claim efficient operations on 160 meters.

You can use the Chameleon or Alpha EzMilitary for QRP with really good results. But, as I am a QRP purest, I'd highly recommend looking at the magnetic loop antennas from AlexLoop, Chameleon, or Alpha Antenna. I love the SWR indicator on the Alpha Loop that lights up when SWRs are less than 2:1! I also found that the Alpha Loop is the only one that has combined a light system, that is rated at IP54, and includes a tripod & duffle bag. I should also mention that the Alpha Loop can be mounted on the universal Jaw Mount, which allows the Loop to be placed nearly anywhere that a tripod isn't practical.

The Eagle One is OK, but as others have said, it is too short to maintain efficiencies on lower bands. So, you might consider the 43 foot S9 (S9v43) from http://s9antennas.com and get the $89 Balun from them or a Balun from 'Balun Designs' to enable multiband capabilities. Also, make sure you inspect each fiberglass section if you buy an Eagle One, or S9 for that matter.

As for the guy in Florida on YouTube, he's an old school cop that found something he believes in; so as part of his hobby, he makes YouTube videos of his equipment...Solar Generators, External Speakers, many rigs, and often of his favorite mode of operation on the beach where he does use the EzMilitary antenna or the 10-40 Meter Coaxial Alpha Loop Antenna. Mike's just a gruff guy who you couldn't pay enough to endorse or stop endorsing a product!!

I am happy to send SurvivalTech Nord from YouTube antennas so that he can test and make a video for all like he was willing to do for Chameleon; if he will accept my invitation to.

If I can help you any further, please feel free to send an email to support@AlphaAntenna.com, visit us at http://alphaantenna.com, or call me at 1-888-482-3249 ext 2, or if for an after hours emergency my cell phone is (816) 282-8234.

Steve/N0TES

P.S. Another difference between Alpha Antenna and many other manufacturers, is that we have invested our and our employees families lives to serving you everywhere, which INCLUDES a presence AT HAMFESTS.

Chameleon Antenna

Quote from: NCGunDude on January 02, 2016, 07:19:36 AM
One advantage I see for the Chameleon is it's 6m to 160m. Alpha Vertical does down to 80m.

NCGunDude,

the MPAS will indeed cover 6M to 160M very well with the provided 60' Polypropylene covered Copper Clad Iron wire and 6M to 80M with the vertical whip. At 80M and 160M any vertical whips of that length will radiate very little power.

Collapsible vertical whips are good for quick COMM on the go where no external supports like trees, masts or fences are available. But when they're available, then try to use the wire as much as possible. You'll transmit more RF power with less input power and get better results.

The HYBRID-MICRO can also be used with your own lengths of wire configurations to create just about anything you want from Windom antennas, to dipoles, skyloops and delta loops! You just need to carry an extra 100' of wire or more (16 to 18 gauge) with you in the field.

You can even build your own 43' vertical with the HYBRID-MICRO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3MmsKBYUEQ

Cheers,

Carl

sjdeines

Hello,

Great plan, and sounds like fun STN! My team and I will prepare send you the Alpha Antenna in its' many deployable form factors; including a) Mobile (MOTO), EzMilitary, Vertical, and JPole (modified dipole/zepp)...and because you will already have all of the universal deployment hardware from Alpha Antenna, I will also send you our Coaxial Alpha Loop that uses the same universal mounts. By universal mounts, I mean that we have merged the Amateur Radio thread count of 3/8 x 24 with the Photography thread count of 1/4 x 20 with our custom machined Top Of Mast Adapter. This part enables hundreds of different and inexpensive mounts from the world of photography to mount either the EzMilitary or the Coaxial Loop!

Steve/N0TES and team (James, Mark, Dalton, Robin, Ed, Doug, David, Jed, & Nancy)
support@AlphaAntenna.com

http://alphaantenna.com
1-888-482-3249 Ext 2

STN

Outstanding!
Looking forward to it.
To start, I'll focus on the side to side comparison between the Ez Military and MPAS. Then the loops, then others.
I think this will be a very fun video series.
I'll reply to your email shortly.
73 & good dx

Julian

Quote from: sjdeines on January 04, 2016, 11:01:42 AM
Hello,

Great plan, and sounds like fun STN! My team and I will prepare send you the Alpha Antenna in its' many deployable form factors; including a) Mobile (MOTO), EzMilitary, Vertical, and JPole (modified dipole/zepp)...and because you will already have all of the universal deployment hardware from Alpha Antenna, I will also send you our Coaxial Alpha Loop that uses the same universal mounts. By universal mounts, I mean that we have merged the Amateur Radio thread count of 3/8 x 24 with the Photography thread count of 1/4 x 20 with our custom machined Top Of Mast Adapter. This part enables hundreds of different and inexpensive mounts from the world of photography to mount either the EzMilitary or the Coaxial Loop!

Steve/N0TES and team (James, Mark, Dalton, Robin, Ed, Doug, David, Jed, & Nancy)
support@AlphaAntenna.com

http://alphaantenna.com
1-888-482-3249 Ext 2

cockpitbob

Lamewolf

Quote from: pea on March 30, 2015, 11:24:59 AM

Has anybody used an Eagle One vertical antenna? (http://www.w8afx.com)

It gets a lot of good comments and looks like it would be an easy grab-and-go antenna.

Anyone here ever used one??

Bruce, N9WKE

Just wanted to say that the Eagle One is nothing special, secretive, or even new.  Its basically a new way to support the old 30' up and 30' out wire antenna where you hung a 30 to 35' wire in a tree and used and equal length counterpoise wire on the ground.  The Eagle One uses a 33' wire inside a 31' Jackite pole for support and you can use any number of counterpoise or radials wires as you wish.  So its basically a 40 meter quarter wave vertical that will work other bands via a tuner.  The best place for the tuner is at the base of the antenna such as an Icom AH-4 or one of the SGC wire tuners to help eliminate feedline loss.  I used mine with the AH-4 and got 6 thru 80 meter operation with good results.

Lamewolf

Quote from: km4mcm on December 27, 2015, 06:28:35 AM
I looked at their site. There no specs on the antenna I could see.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

The Eagle One is basically a 40 meter quarter wave vertical - 33' of wire inside a telescopic fiberglass pole.  With the use of a tuner at the feedpoint (Icom AH-4, SGC-237 etc) it can be used on other bands.  Some folks are using it with a tuner in the shack by adding a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint but that causes a lot of loss in the feedline due to a high swr on the feedline.  By putting a tuner at the feedline the coax is operated in a matched situation and losses are much lower.