Hawaii , Alternative Power Source and CW

Started by RadioRay, June 16, 2018, 02:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

Once again, I enjoyed a nice chat in Morse with AH6V who lives on Hawaii.  Listening to his previous conversation, he mentioned that he is 45 miles from the volcano, so no trouble. Electrical power is no issue for him, because he has been living off grid for decades.  His antenna is a dipole, high and in the trees and my antenna is not at all good for long range, being a full wave , horizontal 80m loop up only 5 meters at the support poles, sagging to 3 meters at some points in between.  We discussed his large solar power system, which powers even his refrigeration & etc. -vs- my small sailboat sized system and the work shop/ham shack that it powered. 

Radio is simply amazing and the BEST 'communications computer' is your brain.

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

RadioRay

That was thirty meters, CW. I like that band very much and will likely enjoy it more once we have returned to coastal Virginia, and my tall trees for antenna support!  CW , like small, seaworthy sailboats, become MORE useful as weather and infrastructure deteriorates:  "Anti-Fragility" in action.

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry