Interesting thread on Eham.

Started by gil, September 08, 2013, 01:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archangel320420

I like that one guy's comment of having some brains frozen and then if you have to go outside you can dangle some on a rope, but where do you get the brains from?

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Because these theoretical Zombies live by eating brains, I would only need to hold out  few weeksn then air drop into a DZ in Washington DC where Zombies would have starved to death for lack of brains in the many politicians.

de RadioRay
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on September 08, 2013, 03:11:35 PM
Because these theoretical Zombies live by eating brains, I would only need to hold out  few weeks them air drop into a DZ in Washington DC, where Zombies would have starved do death for lack of brains in the many politicians.

de RadioRay
Does that mean Henry Fonda can give the order to nuke DC as a "Fail Safe" measure?
Always enjoyed that movie.

gil

QuoteDoes that mean Henry Fonda can give the order to nuke DC as a "Fail Safe" measure?

Please refresh my failing memory...

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on September 08, 2013, 04:20:53 PM
QuoteDoes that mean Henry Fonda can give the order to nuke DC as a "Fail Safe" measure?

Please refresh my failing memory...

Gil.
Erroneous strike order issued; "Fail Safe" contingencies do their job and US bombers do not allow themselves to be recalled, even while POTUS & all SAC generals attempt to do so, even compromising our own a/c's countermeasures to help facilitate Soviet shoot-downs as they penetrate.  But one gets through; Moscow is nuked.  The president then, to avoid full-scale global holocaust, offers NYC  to Soviets as eye-for-eye sacrificial lamb, which the Big Bear takes him up on (and knowing the First Lady is currently visiting there too).

Archangel320420

"Fail Safe"  A classic Cold War picture and a must see. Also see "Dr. Strangelove"  :)

gil

Ah, I have seen Dr Strangelove, and will definitely check out Fail Safe! Thanks.
Good movies to watch in light of current events..  :o

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: Archangel320420 on September 08, 2013, 05:07:08 PM
"Fail Safe"  A classic Cold War picture and a must see. Also see "Dr. Strangelove"  :)
Yup, Revell & Monogram made sales of a B-58 Hustler kit or two 'cause of that movie.

KC3AOL

Quote from: gil on September 08, 2013, 01:26:35 PM
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,87100.0.html

Gil.
Saw your post about the MTR radio. Looks really interesting and I joined the Yahoo group so I can try to snag one next time they are available.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

gil

QuoteLooks really interesting and I joined the Yahoo group so I can try to snag one next time they are available.

Great. I can tell you to be ready early mornings after a tentative date has been announced. They go VERY FAST!

Gil.

WA4STO

Ah, "Fail Safe" - 1964

I wonder how much that movie affected my life.

See, the real hero in that movie was the Russian linguist who struggled with getting the nuances right during the tense discussions between the two Presidents.

Two years later, as a 17 year old Russian intercept op, I was asked if I wanted to switch to linguistics, rather than Cyrillic Morse, which I did.

Maybe there are some co-inky-dinks in life.  Or not.

Luck, WA4STO

RadioRay

Having grown up - or at least aged - on a SAC base during the Cuban missile crisis and etc.  I was used to B-52's taking off en masse, at all hours and watching with glee as plates hung on walls , pictures and virtually anything not glued in places shook and fell to the floor. For a five year old, it was great entertainment.  For my Mum, it meant pointed orders issued to my Dad that  'You WILL get us a place to live which is NOT at the end of the runway, or I am leaving'.  My guess is that the rent for that place was cheap for a reason. I loved looking down the noses of a flight of B-52's made a massed take-off straight toward the dinning room window!  IT was the first time in my short like that I realized that you can FEEL sound in your lungs, if it's LOUD and low enough in pitch!

As for later in life, we did our best to not make any noise in our many encounters with the Soviets and those they stepped on.  Our #1 phrase, though never used , was

Не стріляйте. Я знаю, секрети!

Do Not Shoot. I know SECRETS!   

It was an inside joke, because it was also quite clear that incase of an over-run of our positions, we should ensure that we kill as many of them as possible before we kill ourselves.  You do NOT want to be an enemy intel operator in the hands of the Soviet Union. Fortunately, it never came to that, and as predicted The Communists (tm) came not out of the skies in parachutes, but by limo from Washington DC.

Cicero was quite correct:

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry