SSB BFO setup

Started by Daimo, June 26, 2017, 06:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daimo

Hi Gil, Cheers for all your detailed info.

A couple of questions for you - did you have to setup / cal. the Mountain Topper?  If so, what was required?

Also, is SSB BFO setup something you know about?  I'm trying to figure out how to set up BFO settings for a new radio, especially the CWR (Reverse CW) BFO setting and the CWN (Normal) setting.

Cheers!

swxx

Hi, as your questions seems to have been missed, and I may be able to help with the second question: CW "normal" and "reverse". A CW is just a "carrier wave" it is just like an AM transmission without any modulation. If you listen to CW on an AM radio, you won't hear any tone. If you listen on an SSB radio, there is a carrier being injected "beat frequency oscillator" that mixes with the CW to produce a pitch. If that BFO is offset by 500Hz you will hear a 500Hz pitch CW. But that could be on EITHER side of the CW frequency. If it is 500Hz up or 500Hz below, you will hear 500Hz tone. So, CW "normal" is one (above or below) and CW "reverse" is the opposite side of the CW signal. This helps when there is adjacent interfering signal(s) because by using either "N" or "R" you may get rid of that noise. But of course Google is also your friend here and you may find better answers:

https://www.google.com.au/search?source=hp&q=what+is+cw+reverse+and+normal

Hope that helps!

gil

A couple of questions for you - did you have to setup / cal. the Mountain Topper?  If so, what was required?

Hello, I did setup my first one, built from a kit, which was fairly easy using an audio spectrum analyzer app on my Android phone.. My second one, bought from LNR Precision was pretty well set-up out of the box so I didn't bother adjusting it.

I just follow the manual! I assume it would be the same for SSB. The last time I did that was for the K2 I built with the SSB board. I don't remember the procedure but it wasn't hard to do, again, just follow the instructions.

All I do to check is turn on the app and look at the noise spectrum on the screen.. Then I either key up in CW or listen to a received signal. You can see right away on the screen if the signal is centered in the band pass filter. You can do the same using fldigi on your computer...

Gil.